Masking drums in a sample vs eqing them out

StanleySteamer

Hey guys, as the title says I was wondering what you guys do or if you know what other good sample based producers do as far as masking drums or eqing them out. I know that eqing/filtering out the low end gets rid of most of the kick and bass sound but it can also take a lot away from the sample. One way or another you have the mask the drums and cover them up so basically I am asking do you guys mask and cover up your drums and keep it like that or do you cover the drums and filter/eq as well? feedback always appreciated thanks

Honestly it depends on the sound you are after... If the drums are too in your face though and you had a different idea for them with your own joint then you could try Using a little EQ to get them out of the way but you gotta go back and figure out how to get your sample to sound good and if you didn't really chop the sample up then the pattern you'll have will kinda follow the sample's drums anyway so you can mask some of it with your own. MAin problem for me would be snares and hats. I call it a day when I can't get the snare or the hats to work with me...

Back