Making sample drums disappear in the mix

StanleySteamer

Hey guys, I have a quick question about filtering the drums out of the sample and making them disappear in the mix. Now, I know a good bit about it of course one that you can't completely remove the drums and what not you can't remove the snares and stuff. I just want to remove the kicks and the bass to make room for my bass. So I normally remove around 300-400z with the HPF and it generally removes the thud sound from the kicks. But then there is still this other part of the kick that I am still hearing and definitely is noticeable even with my drums over the sample. I try to use a LPF to roll off some highs but I still can hear the kicks. My question is how do you guys make your sample drums disappear and make your drums completely dominate and cover them? Should I be side chaining or gating the sample? I have heard that a few times around the internet but when I try it my sample sounds foggy. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Edit: Also it would be cool if you guys told me how you guys use LPF and HPF to help filter out drums in your samples. I use Pro Tools for everything maybe I should be sending my samples to LPF and HPF via bus instead of just inserting them on the track and then filtering?

Last edited:
300-400 is very high, you're losing life in the rest of your sample. When ur choosing your drums to lay over the sample pick sounds that will mesh well with the drums in the sample rather than trying to get rid of them completely.

thanks for the response. Do you nudge your drums ofttimes to match that of the samples kicks or once you filter out and put your drums in they disappear?

Every tracks different. I nudge my drums if there's any noticeable flanging goin on. EQ the sample and make sure your transients line up and they shouldn't be a problem.

Sometimes they'll disappear other times they'll act as a layer to your drums and sometimes if there's enough going on in the track they'll just disappear on their own.

What DAW do you use? I use Maschine and Pro Tools but my drums are composed in Maschine. In Maschine, I can swing my drums a little bit of course but as far as the transients I sometimes nudge my snares and stuff because I can clearly tell it is sounding like the sample snare or whatever is swinging before or after and its too noticable. I try it on kicks sometimes too but those tend to be much harder. I am curious as to how you go about moving ur drum transients to match the sample. Do you snap your time grid off or something?

I use maschine and pro tools as well. I'll have the nudge amount set real small in maschine and just highlight the hit/hits I want to nudge and just nudge it until it sounds right. Same process of I'm doing it in pro tools.

see if you can chop that kick out of the sample and then invert the kick, re-layer it over the sample again. you could always drown the drums by adding reverb/delays on the sample

I agree with the advice given above when using EQ.
There is a non EQ option that is more time consuming but helpful.

zoom in on the wave display of the file.
You can usually see the kicks and snare in the wave file because the peak through the mix (when you hear a kick or snare you will see the wave line jump)
manually cut just that sound(kick,snare) from the clip

*Now from here you need to replace that exact missing space you cut or there will be mute gaps in the sound . There are multiple ways to do this.

You can stretch the audio before cut point to cover the kick,snare space missing.

You can also reverb the sound right before the space a bit, so that the reverb covers that blank space subtly.

I hope this helps

Back