Making drums in sync with sample

EricI

Ok so i don't normally sample but i every time i do i cannot make the sample sync up with my drums. Any tips on how to fix this problem. I'm using reason+ recycle by the way

Change the tempo of the sample so it is equal to the drums...
if you chop and sequence right though, you can play any sample on any tempo of drums

This is why I love using Garageband/Logic Express/Studio...with the flex time feature, I don't need to change the tempo of the drums to match the sample...I can manipulate the sample to match the tempo of the drums! :-)

If you have a mac with Garageband, I suggest trying it out and export the samples back to recycle/reason...

This is why I love using Garageband/Logic Express/Studio...with the flex time feature, I don't need to change the tempo of the drums to match the sample...I can manipulate the sample to match the tempo of the drums! :-)

If you have a mac with Garageband, I suggest trying it out and export the samples back to recycle/reason...
Most DAWs can do this. Actually this is what Recycle is meant to do. U chop on the downbeats and play at whatever tempo suits you. Reason 6 will have time stretching to make this even easier. Sonar, Acid (which was the first daw to do what you are doing in Garageband btw), Fruity Loops, and I think Cubase even has features that do this. Its not Garage band exclusive.

chop around drums sometimes, its hard but you can find a way. Its a good exercise in my opinion. More chops, funkier beat

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

other than that, have your loop playing with the metronome and adjust the bpm slowly till everything lines up

its just trying out different BPM's with the sample till you have the right BPM.
I usually Tap the BPM first and than i experiment with the BPM till its right.

chop on the drum beats

Meh I don't agree with that unless you're specifically looking for a choppy sound, most times those notes carry over the sound of the drums.

Or maybe I'm just wrong...what I do especially with Reason is just keep moving it little by little until it's on.

When using tap tempo you will most likely be hitting that shit every beat, but timing a short duration is not very accurate compared with tapping the duration of 1 bar and then dividing by 4.

Try creating your drums first, and then playing your sample in the same tempo that fits with the drums, that's just what I do, and Ive never had a problem with tempo.

Meh I don't agree with that unless you're specifically looking for a choppy sound, most times those notes carry over the sound of the drums.

Or maybe I'm just wrong...what I do especially with Reason is just keep moving it little by little until it's on.
i didnt say chop on every drum beat. u gotta think before u take things too literally and see what fits and what doesn't nothing is ever right 100% of the time

I usually get the loop im sampling, tap tempo it then chop it up at the drum beats into 1/16 or 1/8, 1/4 and so on, then. If i want another tempo than the designated one i change it before i chop it, but im free to change the pitch on the chops after if i want too.

Back