Madlib sample of Astro Black

alexbesht

Hey y'all,

I've been trying to understand howd Madlib do to get the intro sound of Astro Black off Quasimoto - The Unseen out of the original piece from Sun Ra.
They're both on youtube but since I'm new here, I can't post links yet...

I tried a couple of things using audacity, but I didn't get anywhere close.
Any ideas ?

Yo man. you picked a tough one, that's for sure. I'm assuming that the sounds you're chasing are the stabs that sounds almost like rhodes keys or bells yeah?

I can't hear which piece he took those sounds from either, there are some bits towards the end of the tune (where the free jazz bits start up) that sound like they might have been sampled, pitched up and bitcrushed a bit to get that warmth. but yeah, I can't tell you more than that :)

It may be that the sounds you're after actually come from a different record that hasn't been picked by anyone and upped on Whosampled.

Also, that's why he's one of the greats :)

Yo man. you picked a tough one, that's for sure. I'm assuming that the sounds you're chasing are the stabs that sounds almost like rhodes keys or bells yeah?

I can't hear which piece he took those sounds from either, there are some bits towards the end of the tune (where the free jazz bits start up) that sound like they might have been sampled, pitched up and bitcrushed a bit to get that warmth. but yeah, I can't tell you more than that :)

It may be that the sounds you're after actually come from a different record that hasn't been picked by anyone and upped on Whosampled.

Also, that's why he's one of the greats :)

My bad man, I thought I'd listen to the whole piece but you can hear exactly what madlib sampled round 9'45. He just EQd it a little bit...

Back