Madlib, RZA, J Dilla, Just Blaze

DrizzyWadeSt

I really liked Madlib and Freddie Gibbs project "Pinata" and I understand it had basically all samples. I was wondering if anyone knows if Madlib loops his samples or chops it up and re arranges them? Same with RZA, Dilla, and Just Blaze.

it's whatever they feel like doin to it... chopped, multisampled, looped, sampled basslines, composures on chops, composures on loops, drum breaks, drum chops.... whatever makes sense....and that's how it should be.. sometimes it's just loops, i'm talking mostly for madlib and dilla here now.. without even drums added to it, just the ones from the sample.....

I don't know about them (RZA, Mablib et-al) but when I listen to a record and a sample jumps out at me; I pretty much know how I'm gonna approach it...
There might be 3 small parts over an 8-bar section that I know I'll focus in on to create my groove.
There might be 2-bars that I know I'm gonna use the whole thing in a rearranged order over 8-bars, chopped into half-bar sections.
i might use a 1-bar loop of one sample as a constant driving force of the track and a separate sample entirely on another choke-group that keeps things live.
The way I work my sample, absolutely depends on the sample I'm working...

And if I've turned the volume up to a point my wife complains - I know there's fire in there!

Last edited:
Pinata had lots of loops.. I loved the production on it. But yeah, all those producers are well-apt at finding the perfect loop or chopping and layering a sample. Picking the right spot to sample is half the battle, and often what makes the best stick out.

Back