Low End Theory....

Heyy, Im a sample based producer and i've been making beats for quite some time now. Throughout that time, Ive got a better ear and been noticing that some of my beats sound empty because they lack a bassline. I only know vaguely about low end theory and thats the technique I'd much rather prefer instead of creating my own bassline from vst's, however I have no clue on how to go about this. I'd appreciate if some pro sample based producers could explain lowend theory a little more in depth and mainly, how to do it???!

I use Fl Studio 9 and an Mpd 18.

Thanks in advance!​

Get your sample. Run a low pass filter on it. I think it's like SPV + 2 or something..it's the last option in the list. Mess with the resonance/eq to get it sounding how you want. Compress/normalize if you need to.

Low end theory doesn't work for each and every track though. I normally only do it if I have a track where the bass can distinctly be heard or isn't so easy to eq all the way out. That way I know I'm going to get a lively bass sound in my track.

Remember, there is bass in your drums, sample, synthesiser, bass guitar, lead guitar; doesn't really matter what you use. Try boosting the bass in other elements in accordance with you bassline. I say this because if you just have a sample, drums and a synth bass or just 'low end theory' applied, there's often a gap in the frequency. What I like to do is pitch a synthesiser to a bassy element, a guitar or upright or even some low sampled sounds and make them join.

Drums themselves can sound really good when boosted at the very low end (60hz-110hz) but be careful when boosting.

As mentioned before copy the melody track add a low pass filter to the copy I like 12db ones myself I usually turn off the resonance and adjust to taste. Compress the low passed track so that it glues better with the rest of the track. But this doesn't always work. U could also chop an open bass note from a song stretch it on the keys. Live bass guitar synth bass and of course multi sampled bass all work well. But u need to know when to use each method.

yeah! try to boost the bass on your samples with eq (like said before). Then listen and search for the missing stuff on the sample. Sometime the attack is lost when filtering or eq, or the sound becomes to muddy...
Solving this is easy as putting a synth bass sound down the sample. This will give you a punchiest attack and a rich harmonic bass sound!

Last edited:
Back