Loooooooops

im1ufo

I've been working on my chops a lot but lately I've been finding all sorts of AMAZING rare samples that sound sooo ****ing good when looped.

It didn't seem that producers like J Dilla ever had a problem with using straight up loops so why should I? lol

Do you guys think there is an art to looping?
I respect people that can chop the shit out of a sample but most of the time it seems to affect the groove in a negative way...maybe I just haven't honed my craft enough yet but like I said...these samples sound TOO good to chop. The loops just sound so much better in my opinion. If I don't loop this shit...someone else will OR this badass music will never be heard by anyone.

Does anyone else relate to this or have any thoughts on the subject?

Example:

It is kind of ironic that this Dilla song is called "Make it Fast" lol

Dilla didn't add his own drums or anything to this...just loops.

Last edited:
I loop samples most of the times.
but i dont like to call it MY music witouth adding my own drums/bass/synths.

Too many people get caught up on how much they do when the art of hip hop originated from finding dope loops. People didn't start heavily chopping until sample clearances came about as a way to disguise the samples. Some where a long the line people started thinking it was about skill. Its not hard to chop a sample but its very hard to take a sample and make it your own. Its even harder when its a loop.

It's an underappreciated art looping. So loop away my nig. If it feels right.. do it.. don't resist coz of what someone else's standards around sampling are or what they might think.. YOU'RE making the beat.. besides, that kind of mentality is bad for creativity. Besides, you could see it as more of a challange if it being too simple is the problem.

Thanks for the replies guys...I feel a lot better now because I want to get my music out there...I don't think anyone will be able to decipher my samples even if I just keep them as loops anyway haha

dont worry man, even when youre looping you still need to chop it first but than you arrange it the way it was already.

seriously, the beat im working on right now is just gonna have a 16 bar loop! for the verses.
But i add my own drums/bass/synths to it to make it my own thing.

Jay-Z - Song Cry has many loops from 1 song and i think its 1 of the best beats ever made.

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Pete Rock has more looped beats than choppy beats i think.

So I decided to do a Dilla tribute beat after I started this thread today...I did loops and chops(sorry the chops are sloppy this was one take)

Dilla's track was MAKE IT FAST...mine is MAKE IT SLOW

While people might turn their noses up at using loops, knowing how to make a loop and have it line up and run in sync is certainly a valuable skill to have, in comparison chopping a sample into slices requires far less accuracy to the point of the tempo becoming almost irrelevant.

i don't like to use loops, not because it sounds wack to me or smthn, but i kinda feel guilty for my work if i take long samples. i usually chop a song im usign in to like 60 chops or more (real easy way to do that is in FL edison, just add markers and drag your samples in slicer) that way i have many options with my melodies.ofcourse i don't use all of those chops. i guess im a waster, haha... but you can make more creative work with this method. p.s. sorry 4 my english...

I prefer flexibility, which also means flexibility when it comes to the mix.

I went back and forth with this for a while, but then it finally hit me that I wasnt that famous. I make beats that I like and that I think others will like, but I dont have to deal with sample clearances which means I can chop loops if I want because... who cares. Now with that said, I started chopping more loops (never more than 4 bars, personal preference). I think that sometimes looping can be dope although I do find it hard to create variety with them. I started taking the loop and looping it and then chopping parts out of it or from somewhere else and then using them together. I think that sometimes people get so caught up in having to chop and chopping too small. That makes for those duh-duh-duh beats which sound chopped for the sake of chopping. Anyway, do what you feel and if you ever doubt looping, four letters, RJD2.

as long as i make it unique and cater it to the audience im trying to...i love looping samples on top of other samples especially

I used to be against looping until I realized that it actually takes a fair amount of skill (if not the same amount as chopping and rearranging). Now I'm all for it as long as it sounds dope in the end! Three letters and one number, RJD2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loop most of the time...the way I use my samples differ from sample to sample. If it sounds good looped, I'll loop it. If it sounds good chopped even more I'll chop it even more, in the end it's about the sound, not how you made it.

Back