Looking for nice Hip Hop Drums

wLy

Hi everyone,
Im looking for some of these nice (old school) hip hop drum sounds.
Doesnt matter if it its free or not (main priority is the sound). I searched the web and downloaded a couple of free hip hop drum kits but most of them of them dont sound very "full" :hmmm:

Maybe something smiliar to this (just an example): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdK20RzRV7M

There thousands of great free drums just need to check them and throw out the bad. Try looking on paid sites too for free taster packs u may need to sign up for their newsletter or something though but u can get thousands if u check enough sites. As for paid packs etc.. try the drum broker that site has great stuff and maybe some goldbaby stuff too, goldbaby also has some free downloads. Also theres hundreds of breaks to be found around in huge packs that are free.

Chop some drum breaks. That's what all the producers did back in the 90's.

Last edited:
I love illmind, but 16 gb of drums sounds like a headache, would love to hear all the breaks on there tho, i'm sure 2 or 3 of his regular kits would be dope enough

well theres a lot of variables to the "90's sound"

1. they chopped records, not mixed/compressed/eqed drum-kits
2. gear - they had 12 bit samplers and sampling techniques (45rpm+8%), reel to reel recordings, etc.
(3. also had some of the greatest engineers ofc)

I would look up the breaks of your favorite songs to get a clue of what they did.

Marrelare what do u mean by the +8%

It's a technique for working with a very limited amount of sample time. The record player is set to 45 rpm speed and the pitch adjustment of the turntable is set to maximum (+8% for example in Technics sl-1200's) to make the sample as fast (and short) as possible. Then it's pitched down in the sampler.

Exactly, I recently sold my SP1200 that only had 10s speed. and the key to getting that grimey sound of the 90s were partly because of that technique. You sample at a high speed and pitch it back like -7 seminotes in the machine and since the pitch algorythm wasnt perfect it made it sound real crunchy and nice + you saved memory.

Of course its not all about the machine, its always the man behind it, but thats how it was done.

But my main tip is: chop drum breaks instead of kits.

I love illmind, but 16 gb of drums sounds like a headache, would love to hear all the breaks on there tho, i'm sure 2 or 3 of his regular kits would be dope enough

it's actually closer to 3gb. if you use ableton, you can use the 128s trick to create one drum rack that has all of this pack's samples in it. it's the only drum rack I ever need...

Back