lifting bass lines

biggiestickz

ive never learned how to do this ive always heard "apply a low pass filter" but ive never learned how to do that ha
im using reason can you guys help me shed some light on this and how i would go about lifting basslines or at least where i could start and what i would use in reason to help achieve my goal
please and thank you in advance

Copy the device and track of the original sample and make sure it is connected to the virtual mixer in reason. Then, use the "stereo imager" as an effect. You don't have to put it to mono for it to work but most basslines are mono so I suggest it with the knobs. In the "Solo" section, pick "low band". Adjust the cross over frequency anywhere from 100-300hz.

You often will want to eq this for it to be loud enough in the subwoofer spectrum. THis is anywhere from 20-120 Hz depending on how people set up their subs but you can go above up into the 250ish range, I just would focus on the 60-120 hz range.

With both, you have flexibility and there are no exact settings on the fequency, just what sounds best.

Okay I'm a definent newbie so can you please elaborate for me on this?

If I take a sample and break it down in ReCycle then open Dr. Rex (the device) I simply open another Dr. Rex device and follow the rest of the steps?

One of the two major things I don't like on FP is the way that people who have a bit of experience in music production, if only in their bedroom, sneer at people for not knowing things. The other is people asking for help on things that they could find out EASILY if they just looked for it. Basically, with certain things, if you have to ask, you'll never know. Gotta get your hands dirty sometimes and make mistakes!

The question asked in this thread is probably very common for Reason users (because Reason's only dedicated filter is pretty limited, doesn't have a high pass etc) and not that easy to turn up the answer to if you, e.g. just google 'Reason; Filter' or something like that. Alongside that, 3D's answer is genuinely helpful and a good example of what FP is really for. So, a sensible question which was given a proper and helpful answer.

Now, how do I sample so I can sound exactly like Dilla?

Last edited:
Ummmm okay....?..???..?

Me personally I feel as though we should all be on one accord on here. No one person is better, some may know a little bit more than others but that's what this site is for. If someone else knows something that you don't know yourself and you post a thread asking a question then cool!!! We learn something new everyday.

Me I'm the definition of NooB! I google a lot of the time, and sometimes I try and YouTube, but sometimes asking people on FP is better because I may not know how to direct the question or put it in a way that google can find for me.

Either way it was still helpful!

Ummmm okay....?..???..?

Me personally I feel as though we should all be on one accord on here. No one person is better, some may know a little bit more than others but that's what this site is for. If someone else knows something that you don't know yourself and you post a thread asking a question then cool!!! We learn something new everyday.

Me I'm the definition of NooB! I google a lot of the time, and sometimes I try and YouTube, but sometimes asking people on FP is better because I may not know how to direct the question or put it in a way that google can find for me.

Either way it was still helpful!

Exactly, and I'm a total noob too but if you can't experiment and work stuff out for yourself, you'll never get there; sometimes you have to ask, even if it sounds like a stupid question. What I was saying was that there are some questions that sometimes, as a novice, you just have to ask. The problem is people trying to get an answer to every single question when, if you actually try to learn your way around your DAW and the internet just a little bit, you'll not only find the answer to the question but also gain valuable knowledge in the process.

I love this site, post fairly infrequently and always get good advice, tips etc but I think a lot of people use it as some kind of magic bullet to tell them everything they need to know. For example, you would never say 'what's a good 70s soul record for me to get a sample to sound like X' - you have to go and dig. Much in the same way, if you're not going to go into your DAW, try things and be willing to get it wrong, your development will be limited.

LoL true, I know I get frustrated! But I make sure I google & research before I even post any threads on any site that I may be a member of. I'll even call up friends of mine or email friends to see if they can't help...JUST TO AVOID THE ******* WHO LURK ONLINE JUST TO TALK DOWN TO THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW MORE THAN THEY DO! Me if I know something I help out, **** it! I've even gave out programs, EXT with VST's & **** on it, I'm even thinking of getting rid of my friggin MPD32 & getting the new MPK88 to stack over my Korg TR61! But that's niether here nor there!

This thread helped out a lil bit, I have used ReCycle to strip a baseline before as well so idk. But I understand your point of view also. **** you sound like you may be more advance than me, LoL maybe I'm just remedial

LoL true, I know I get frustrated! But I make sure I google & research before I even post any threads on any site that I may be a member of. I'll even call up friends of mine or email friends to see if they can't help...JUST TO AVOID THE ******* WHO LURK ONLINE JUST TO TALK DOWN TO THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW MORE THAN THEY DO! Me if I know something I help out, **** it! I've even gave out programs, EXT with VST's & **** on it, I'm even thinking of getting rid of my friggin MPD32 & getting the new MPK88 to stack over my Korg TR61! But that's niether here nor there!

This thread helped out a lil bit, I have used ReCycle to strip a baseline before as well so idk. But I understand your point of view also. **** you sound like you may be more advance than me, LoL maybe I'm just remedial

Everything you say is true dude. This forum is cool - some really good advice, often from people who are complete Pros and I really appreciate that. What you do, I do exactly the same and in many ways (in fact, most ways) I am a hopeless noob - FP is for me either a place to discuss **** or a last resort. It is not the place to come for a DAW 101. If you can't work out how to even put together a beat etc, then this is a silly place to try to learn - you may get feedback but you will never get anywhere. Beat making is all blood, sweat and tears. And then you end up with something beautiful; I say that as someone who's only ever made stuff for myself but I think that's the way it is.

Back