legal question about drum kit chants

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as the chants go that come from drum kits such as 'hey' that Dj Mustard used so frequently, can these be freely used without paying the said person doing the voice royalties? I was told that the sounds can be used royalty free because the length of the samples are short in duration. Can anyone guide me to some information about this?

I think samples like these give permission when you pay the $5 - $20 to buy the pack of them. Now, ...how you got the sample, nobody can really know but it's accepted that they're royalty free. I could be wrong, but as long as you can prove you bought the pack, you're good. ...but at the $5 - $20 price, nobody is going to sue you. Plus, the person you're buying the pack off of probably isn't the world famous guy saying "hey". They probably bought it somewhere else and are marking the price up to make profit themselves...

Last edited:
for something as simple as this, you could just record yourself and pitch/process it so that at least it's your original sample?
that just seems like the simplest solution imo.

^Why do that IF you can freely use the sample though? Let's stick to the topic here.

As far as the chants go that come from drum kits such as 'hey' that Dj Mustard used so frequently, can these be freely used without paying the said person doing the voice royalties? I was told that the sounds can be used royalty free because the length of the samples are short in duration. Can anyone guide me to some information about this?
I'm pretty sure that most of those types of sounds come from Gucci Mayne and other ATL artist. Shawty Lo, OJ Da Juiceman, Lil Jon etc. It's not like it's some kid making them to sell in drum kits, they are real samples taking from songs.

pffffff ok, well, because it's 100x easier and faster than worrying about whether or not it's legal.

apologies if this isn't "sticking to the topic" in your eyes if you don't want constructive advice on a route that you might not be willing to put in the work to take but alleviates all worry and allows much more creative freedom.
You could have already recorded your own voice instead of pontificating which advice you do and don't want here.

go use the same sample that 1000 other people used to make wack beats.

have fun.

pffffff ok, well, because it's 100x easier and faster than worrying about whether or not it's legal.

apologies if this isn't "sticking to the topic" in your eyes if you don't want constructive advice on a route that you might not be willing to put in the work to take but alleviates all worry and allows much more creative freedom.
You could have already recorded your own voice instead of pontificating which advice you do and don't want here.

go use the same sample that 1000 other people used to make wack beats.

have fun.

Your advice wasn't constructive, it was and still is annoying. The chants I'm speaking about are world renown and are continuously used for a reason. Furthermore, this beat is a hit record. Those chants have and will continue to be used in hit records too.

I didn't ask you for creative advice or how to get around not being sued for a sample, I asked you about the legality of using a sample. So YES, you did go off topic since you didn't answer my question.

If anyone knows the answer to my question please respond.

If it's in a legit sample pack that comes with a license, then any and all of the samples/parts are covered under said license, unless otherwise noted.

If it is something else (illegal/pirate/bootleg/stolen), than no, it would not be covered (and therefore not part of any license agreement). And the alternative answers you were given are exactly what you should be pondering.

GJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back