Layering samples (adding one sample ontop of another)

jranderee

Hey guys ive been making sample based beats for a few years and id like to think im pretty good at it. Im trying to up my game by layering samples but the only problem is every time I try it doesn't sound right. Ive looked all over the internet and cant find a single article or video tutorial for it. So is there anyone who can show me how? For example taking a piano loop from one song and adding a baseline from another song to it. By the way I use FL Studio. If you could post a video that would be great.

Attachments

• 01. Hurt.mp3
    6 MB · Views: 5
Hey guys ive been making sample based beats for a few years and id like to think im pretty good at it. Im trying to up my game by layering samples but the only problem is every time I try it doesn't sound right. Ive looked all over the internet and cant find a single article or video tutorial for it. So is there anyone who can show me how? For example taking a piano loop from one song and adding a baseline from another song to it. By the way I use FL Studio. If you could post a video that would be great.

If you are talking about mixing together different harmonies and riffs everything is going to have to be in the same key. Before you start doing that I would learn about low-end theory bass sampling. You are going to need to do some serious research on music theory and understand how to get samples in the same key, eq them, using the appropriate chops and on and on. Using various samples all together is not an easy feat. And that's why only a few producers have done it extensively (RJD2 and Lapalux come to mind, check out their music - mainly RJD2's first two albums and then any of Lapalux's stuff).

For all my MP3s I use Mixed In Key for harmonic mixing, then I have like 100,000 loops that I just ran through this:

KeyFinder

With keyfinder you just have to put the notations for every key in the settings or you'll limit yourself, unless you know what keys you can mix off the top of the head. It's easy enough.

Back