kung-fu muzik/samples

deepsoul

!peace to all out there. Been really diggin FP for a minute now and I really appreciate that plenty folks out there got somthin to say, to xpress, to create, to share with tha world...keep on your grind!

right now 'd like to get some of that knowledge ya'll got out there and focus it into my cerebral intake

just started gettin into beatmaking
and sampling bout a year
ago, doing mostly for my own sense of karma...been diggin for a few months looking for some ill kung-fu movie soundtrack music and/or samples...anyone have any thoughts on how i can dig up some chop sooey flick muzik?

Peace (4 real),
deep(soul)

what wutang did was bought rights to a whole bunch of old kung fu films. of course they were loaded to do that. buying vinyls of kung fu soundtracks will probably be near impossible unless it was a big successful movie.

some places i imagine you can get some old chinese samples (from kungfu films or not). go to the chinatown in the city and see if they got any record shops there. if not, try ebay. there are also record stores especially for ethnic and oriental type records.

otherwise you could go out and buy some old vhs of kungfu films and then transfer the audio from the tapes to your sampler which will be a pain in the ass.

if you dont know nothing about kung-fu, then dont front! go to the local video store and start watching some flicks... get your knowledge up then worry about sampling kung fu. if you dont understand how kung fu movies a laid out and how they work with music, fxs, and the art in general, you wont understand how to lay down tracks and get them right. so step up your game! and good luck.

ibn said:
if you dont know nothing about kung-fu, then dont front! go to the local video store and start watching some flicks... get your knowledge up then worry about sampling kung fu. if you dont understand how kung fu movies a laid out and how they work with music, fxs, and the art in general, you wont understand how to lay down tracks and get them right. so step up your game! and good luck.

Well said, Ibn.

I ain't gonna front -- I got love for kung-fu but I ain't trying to study up on it like our main man Bruce did, naw sir, It aint about that for me.

I'm just trying to get some vocal overdubs and some of those string stabs for some RZA like flavor for my jointz.

My dilemma is a technical one.

I have about 35 movies of my own that I can sample from but I don't have the tools..at least I don't think I do. The only way I know how to do it right now is to use a portable recording device, i.e., a Compact Flash recorder or a .wav/mp3 portable recorder. I have a Sony minidisc but I have no mic for it -- I don't even think they make mics for them thangs.

I'll put in the work to get what I need to get -- I'm just trying not to spend a whole lotta loot to get there. They got a real nice recorder in that new joint from M-Audio: you record directly to CF card, and save it in .wav or mp3 format, then drop onto the computer for further editing.

I'm trying to keep it ol skool and hunt down some vinyl and/or cd's.

I'ma do like my man said earlier in this post and head down to Chinatown (Honolulu) and check out some of the little Mom and Pop stores they got down there, maybe I can stumble on sumpin...

I'm saving my geeters for a new Yamaha MO.

Ya'll hold it down...and keep on keeping on!

Peace out from the land of Aloha,

deep(soul)

If you want to go all RZA on your tracks, just plug the audio-out on your VCR into your soundcard's input, hit "rec" in SoundForge, or whatever you're using, "play" on the VCR and that's it. I used to record hours of movies off TV then chop them into samples. If you already own 35 kung-fu flicks, you're pretty much set to produce at least 3 early wu-tang style albums:)

Sampling off DVD or DIVX is kind of lame, but it's even easier. VHS is gangsta though:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, films is the way to go here, just be careful of copyright laws.

gots_no_funk said:
If you want to go all RZA on your tracks, just plug the audio-out on your VCR into your soundcard's input, hit "rec" in SoundForge, or whatever you're using, "play" on the VCR and that's it. I used to record hours of movies off TV then chop them into samples. If you already own 35 kung-fu flicks, you're pretty much set to produce at least 3 early wu-tang style albums:)

U got me goin on terrible now. I never bothered to sample of tv or video, dint think it was that easy. Thanks

Back