Key To Flipping A Sample

Max The Martian

What would you guys say is the most important thing when taking a sample and making it your own? The digging? The Chopping? The arrangment of the chops? Chopping on beat? :bigeyes::bigeyes: Beginner here just trying to see what I should spend most of my time doing

All the above are important with sampling!

This is what I usually do.

The digging : If I'm feeling a sample. I like to to listen to it & study it. Things like tempo, key, the instruments in the sample, structure of the sample are all important.

The chopping: I usually go through the whole song and find certain parts that catch my ear. Sometimes it may be a subtle part of the sample like a small guitar riffs and shots, vocal breathing/words, or it could be a larger sample like a dope chord or vocal.

There's is one thing I learnt a long time ago with sampling. THERE ARE NO RULES! You can sample any way you want, any part of the song you want. Myself after I chop my main samples, I may sometimes sample the sample into smaller bits.

One peice of techinal advise. When making cuts in the sample, make sure the the start and end of the actual sound wave itself is at the zero point ( I tried posting a diagram but not enough posts lol ), though it may take time, that will prevent poping or clicking on the track later on.

The arrangment of the chops: The arrangment depends on the sample. I find that experimenting with the sounds you've sampled is the best way. So what I would suggest is place all chops to PAD and just go in with an open & clear mind frame.

There's no rules to it you don't even need to start off with the sample. You can always start with the drums or another instrument.

Chopping on beat: The above explains this question. Something else that will help you a lot will be; filtering, compressing and gating. In some instances when I decide that I want to sample a seperate vocal or instrument on a main sample loop, I eq and filter out the vocal sample until you only hear the vocals in the sample. And when you put the main sample and filtered vocal together it should work if the samples match. But this works with anything not just vocal samples.

PRACTCE & PATIENCE ARE IMPORTANT.
GO IN WITH AN OPEN MIND & LET YOUR CREATIVITY TAKE CONTROL.

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

I just do it by ear. I find that to be the most accurate.

Any tips for finding the key of a sample?

Kalyyuga's advice is good. When I tried being really "technical" about trying to sample, all I could come up with was straight garbage. After taking some advice and just playing around and working by my ear, my sampling efforts are slightly less garbage!

I would say the most important thing in making a sample your own is just that. make it your own.... period.

i started getting mad when i'd hear producers use samples i was using... but the trick is to flip it your own way, or a different way period.

Any tips for finding the key of a sample?
When I learned my scales and chords, I would just go through all of

the scales while trying to harmonize with song using mostly I IV V key....Or listen to the bass of the track that will give it away a lot of times.....

Learning ear training of intervals will help out a lot, that's the process I am teaching my self now. If your interested in learning more and need some

sites about chords and interval training in box me.

rap in your head as you make the beat to make sure it's good to flow over for the rapper. you can make a bomb ass beat that is hard to do a good rap over and no one will want to get on it.

rap in your head as you make the beat to make sure it's good to flow over for the rapper. you can make a bomb ass beat that is hard to do a good rap over and no one will want to get on it.

^^^I do that too. Also I mess around a bit with pretty much every chop I make. Like I'll do a chop then play on my keys to see how I can incorporate that chop into the beat and do that through out my whole chopping process. It allows me to make sure every chop has a purpose and come up with various patterns to choose from.

Back