Im learning and I want it so much but..

kmano

It's really my first steps to producing and sampling (2 months) And it's not bad because I can create "beat" from scratch. But when I try to sample, it's all big mess and nothing sounds even decent tbh. What do you suggest - when I can't sample something I choose, should I move forwad and look for other samples or still stick to that sample and dont give on this? After a 2 hours of trying all I did was choping nice pieces of song but I can't connect and link it with drums and even the samples I chopped are impossible for me to connect in one thing, so all I can right now is to chop the samples, after that IM DONE. What can you suggest me? Every help and opinion will be appreaciated. It's frustrating for me but I can't give up.. when Im watching someone else videos it inspires me so much but I don't know what to do with it.. I know it will come with time - but are there any tips or rules when it comes to basic sampling? I don't expect miracles I just want to know the basics so I can come up with something that is listenable.

If you're having trouble piecing the samples together, then you didn't chop them well enough. It's really hard to explain how to piece chops together, since every chop for each song can be pieced together differently. Best bet is just to listen to songs that have a lot of chops and start to get a feel for how you can piece your stuff together. You'll get better at it, takes time.

Maybe the sample in particular just isn't meant 2 be chopped to shit and maybe a nice loop with your own instrumentation is all thats needed? You need to make your own judgements on whether a sampled needs to be chopped or looped, not everything has to be chopped and not everything should be looped. Experiment with both techniques and see which one 'you' think sounds better.
Good luck.
Peace

Take time to study those videos. How does the percussion match the sample and what does the producer so that gives the song its groove.
as said, there's an infinite amount of ways to flip, chop, crunch ect. Ect.
and also, you are only 2 months in. You're going to have issues with everything IMO. That's how it starts. But the more time you put in and the more you endure through the awkward ish, then eventually things start to come naturally.

If anything try doing covers of tracks. Never done it myself but that seems to help a lot of people.

I'm at about the same stage as you man. Still having some trouble figuring out how to glue chops well together in the tracks, some samples are of course a lot easier then others. Find some easy samples you can loop at the start and go from there might be a good option :)

im fairly new to sampling also so i know what you mean. when i hear a part that i want to sample or chop, it always doesnt end up like the beat that i pictured in my head when i first heard that part of the song. so i end up using other parts that i chopped and come out with something that makes sense. my point is, you can always use the other parts of the track and sample it if you're having diffclty using the one u want. if the one you want to use doesnt produce a "sensible" melody, then chop it again properly/ loop it or use other parts of the song. that's just my opinion tho. i rarely sample anyway but the first time i tried it, i had luck making a sense out of the chops. =p. i only have 3 uploaded sampled beats on my soundcloud, you can check em out if you want to. "Fetuccine" was my first sampling experience and you can see that coz it's choppy as ****. haha.

CHOP TO BEATS !! THEN place them over your drums , pitch down the sample strech it ,, or jus wing it ..

sounds cliche but for real..keep practicing and learn what all the tools in your DAW do..if your persistent you will eventually find the key to your vault..promise

if your just starting make sure that the sample that your chopping hasn't got any unwanted sounds like drums for instance. This sounds obvious but yeh......

if the problem is that there is gaps in-between your hits then make sure the samples are longer.
the way i work is if I'm trying to create a solid melody (no gaps) then i won't truncate my hits ill leave the start marker where i like the hit to start and then leave plenty of room after the start point so the sample won't finish before my next hit, have the pads set up so the next hit will end the previous one so the two samples don't merge together.

Saying that if your beats sound messy chances are that your pads arnt overriding each other.
Are you getting two different samples play at once?

Start with some easy to sample sounds, like a piano, violin, trumpet solo.
Maybe check out some classical music.

chop your piano samples into separate hits, so for example if you have a sample and you like the sound of one piano key that you hear then chop that one key, build up a few keys assigned to different pads then replay it like you are replaying the piano but in your own melody.

There doesn't have to be a consistent flow from your samples you can just use certain hits every now and then and not necessarily try to make a solid loop from them samples.

check out other producers. I find some good ones to analyse are preemo, kanye, wonder and alchemist for instance.

listen to some of the simpler beats they make, with few samples or just the odd samples here and there. why is there track still sounding hot even though it seems like a simple beat, perhaps its the drums or maybe the actually sounds of the samples they are using.

Hope this helps

Try every day and keep trying every day. One day you'll break ground and that ball will start rolling.

Listen to, in no particular order: Hi-Tek, 9th Wonder, Premier, Pete Rock, Dilla, and all the marquee guys. If you're making beats you probably already do listen to these guys, but if you haven't heard their work, it can be a great learning experience.

I have the same problem. Sometimes i wanna give it up. But i really want to learn sampling. Not just looping but chopping also.

I can say it now that Im a bit further with sampling since when I started this thread. Making a little progress.. so let that be prove that working on something gives you effects ;)

I can say it now that Im a bit further with sampling since when I started this thread. Making a little progress.. so let that be prove that working on something gives you effects ;)

Was there something you did wrong that you figured out when you first started?

Back