if you were teaching "sampling class" what topics would u cover?

N

nugmusic

hey people,

I'm going to teach a girlfriend of mine the basics of music production, including sampling. I sample a bit myself and do what I do but I want to make sure I cover all areas of sampling and not just what I know...

at the moment the three main areas in sampling I'mma teach her are;

1. LISTENING FOR AND AQUIRING SAMPLES

2. CHOPPING AND EDITING SAMPLES

3. ARRANGING SAMPLES

can anyone think of any particular techniques, methods and topics that I should include e.g. "timestretching a sample"

thanks. the more suggestions the better :)

The main thing I would teach is enjoying the music from other genres. I have a lot of records that have nothing to sample, but they have good grooves to listen to. I love listing to all types of music, even though I grew up on my mothers hip hop. But I love everything. 2nd I would teach here that there are no rules to sample. Sample anything as long as you can make it dope. 3rd classic samples and labels. I would teach the manipulation of samples later, 1st I would just work on listing to records and enjoying them.

cappachino said:

basslines (so niggas dont mess it up)
you got that right!!...93 percent of the basslines used in sampled tracks are off key form people on this site

Hi-res said:

you got that right!!...93 percent of the basslines used in sampled tracks are off key form people on this site

lol...93 % !! That's precision !! :D

teach them clean chops with no crackles
teach em classic breaks like ultimate breaks and beats so they know whats come before and give her pointers on how to pick the gold out from the crates (labels, certain arrangers/performers that guest) based on what she like...so she can spend $$ on u and not the force md's heehee

I'm actually going to teach a sampling class. The school I teach at has just gotten new computers and you know schools are eligible for free software like Reason!
when I get to the hands-on part, I will start basic like combining loops. Then get complex over time.

variation is important to...

sometimes you'll have a great phrase that is good, but also tryin chopping a note from the phrase

...or trying different drum sounds and patterns over the sample

I actually do teach sampling (as well as audio engineering and a few other things) during the summer. To really be able to teach, I'd suggest introducing everything in the following manner:

A. Overview...what a sampler does and how its different from other instruments
B. Recording and playback
C. sampling theory
1. there are 3 types of samples
a. one shot (non pitched)
b. pitched (edited or non)
c. phrases (breaks, riffs, etc)
D. Understanding the properties of each sample (ie rythmic content, conotations, harmonic properties, etc)
E. sample modification/ editing

this should be more than enough to get you started. teaching this stuff will take you way deeper than you'd have ever thought you'd go...that is if you do it right, of course :D

Digging for Samples
Listening for the right sample
Chopping the right sample
Apllying the right sample to your musical library

and Sample Clearance...

Back