I want to sample, what do i need?????

• Thread starter PlanetHitzProduction
  • Start date
P

PlanetHitzProduction

what's good, i decided i would like to sample tracks..it'll be a great way to increase my creativity and give me something to do while im in beat block.. what do i need, i know spot with records for sale, that's a must

but i like 4 some one to list the basic elements, mixer, turntable...and such...any suggestions. also, i have no budget, list the top notch equip.. thanks

usual setup would be..

(2) turntables and a mixer..

sampled into a computer setup or an MPC.

..but you could get away with 1 cheap turntable and a small phono amp to sample into the computer if you're on a budget. Depends on how much you want to manipulate the records. I spent alot more $$ and got 2 Technics tables and a good battle mixer, because I want to get more into straight d.j. stuff and use that in my recordings.

I just got Serato Scratch Live too, which is a hardware/software program that lets me scratch MP3's off my computer as if the were vinyl on my tables. The gear is expensive, and so are records, but stuff like Serato helps somewhat with the cost of vinyl.

good luck! start small and build up. we all did the same.

cool...also im interested in an MV-8000..i heard you dont need a mixer to sample straight into it, what u think about the mv?

I'd get an MPC instead. There's a reason that 90% of hip hop producers are using one.

yeah..I was gonna add...it's because I own a lot of Roland gear as well, and I'm not into their products anymore. I've grown to mistrust claims from Roland, so the MV isn't even something I check out at Guitar Center, because 'technically' it's gonna look great on paper, but the all in one thing Roland always loves to market...just doesn't work the way you think. You WANT all kinds of different gear. Different key boards, different EQs etc. Flexibility is key IMO, and it's not to good to go down the 'all-in-one' route.

If you assume that Roland is the 'best' at all those functions contained in the VS-EFX boards, then it's damn tempting to go with it. But Roland is NOT the best. They're like a flavor of ice cream...a sugary flavor you don't like much;)

Sorry to be so harsh on Roland, but I'm a VS-1680 and JV-1080 owner so I can say what I want!:D No more Roland gear for me thanks.

lol.. but i would like to transfer my set up to straight hardware.. what u think about the MPC 4K vs. MV-8 combined with a turntable and mixer

also, with rack synths
preamp, and drums samples...what u think?

what else i need...i know a mixer, already have monitors and great headphones..recomend the best the top notch stuff out there..i'll have plenty of time to learn it inside out

Last edited by a moderator:
PlanetHitzProduction said:
recomend the best the top notch stuff out there.

I like your style.:) I'd rather be told what the real gear is, and that I can't afford it right now, rather than be sold sub-par gear just cuz it fits my current budget. I'm a saver, so I can wait for the best.

lol.. but i would like to transfer my set up to straight hardware.. what u think about the MPC 4K vs. MV-8 combined with a turntable and mixer

I'm with you 100% (goin' hardware), and like you I drooled over the 4K, but even JustBlaze said in the latest Scratch mag that the 4K was just too much, too complicated etc. and he said you couldn't do better than to start with a new 2500. Now, I don't follow just any old product endorsement, but when the experts speak, I listen closely. I was already sold on the MPC, but I was unsure of the NEW! 2500...did a bit of searching on Ebay for a 3000 but that gets ridiculous too. So Just Blaze's comments put me at ease that the 2500 is solid gear. (I just don't have the $$ for that right now)

also, with rack synths
preamp, and drums samples...what u think?

hmm..not sure your budget, but heres some things we all need in our dreams (in no particular order)...

- $2000+ compressor like an Avalon (or similar, can be used for sampling too)
-a $800-1000 condenser mic.
- battle mixer (Rane or vestax)
- a record collection/addiction (cya wife & kids!)
- De-Esser
- used ASR-10, S-950, and SP1200 just to be a gangster about it.
- Korg Triton (yeeeaaahhhh!!!!)
- Roland Fantom (for the SOUNDS, not to take over the whole process)
- old & new analog keyboards of all types
- CDs, DVDs, CableTV, VCR's, iPods, LaserDiscs etc...all available to a sampling channel.
- Genelech or similar monitors, along with some vintage NS-10s
- Big Bass Brian's phone number

that's all I can think of for now.

Props on taking your time out to write all this..
hmm, i will mos def cop an Avalon preamp
i'm still a lil stuck on the MV, so i might not need a mixer. but I am gonna look into the 2500 also.
lol, at the record collection tip. haha
I'm looking into all rack synths..i like the idea of syncing a whole beat in the MV.
i use the motif, will cop the fantom and triton in the future.

questions
uhh why cop an asr-10 and MPC/or MV?
can i run ALL my equip through the avalon pre, to get an altered sound? cause i compose tracks also, and i dont really like the 100% clean sound of the motif, if i run the board thru the preamp, would i get a gritter sound according to taste?
where can i find NS-10's i heard they dont make em anymore..

anyways hope u can help

PlanetHitzProduction said:
i'm still a lil stuck on the MV, so i might not need a mixer. but I am gonna look into the 2500 also.

Tired but...the MV mixer is digital, right? so theres an A/D on every input...so if you want to use an Avalon or some other outboard gear, you'll have to use it before those inputs, or else you'll be using some Aux Efx send which means A->D->A->D and so on. You'll be 'encouraged' to use the on-board FX since they require no special wiring. More all-in-one from Roland. The sound will be 'nice' but I predict not 'bangin'.

I'm looking into all rack synths..i like the idea of syncing a whole beat in the MV.

Syncing?? you mean Recording the whole beat right? Because the MPC is the master of sync/sequencing, but it can't record or take the place of a mixer.

questions
uhh why cop an asr-10 and MPC/or MV?

how you gonna take a sample and quickly play it across a keyboard if you got no keyboard? An ASR-10 is what Kanye uses. I use a computer & midi keyboard cuz I'm broke. You could use your Motif (nice piece btw)

can i run ALL my equip through the avalon pre, to get an altered sound? cause i compose tracks also, and i dont really like the 100% clean sound of the motif, if i run the board thru the preamp, would i get a gritter sound according to taste?

if you get a REAL mixer, you can have the Avalon effect any channel(s) you want, to any degree you want.

where can i find NS-10's i heard they dont make em anymore..

They don't, but the new ones have a switch that supposedly sounds like the old NS-10's. Or you can pay 10 times to much on Ebay.

Anyhoo...I'd say if you're going to get a digital mixer, why really bother with hardware? There is a BIG difference in the quality of the A/D and D/A components in different digital gear. Akai MPC's have GREAT A/D's..we know this. Are Roland's as good? If they aren't it will cost you in sound quality. Analog gear doesn't have these worries. Save the majority of your A/D til the very end. Big guys use an MPC and all analog keyboards into an analog mixer with all sorts of outboard gear avalable to the mixers channels. The MPC sequences the rack synths, and it all pours into the live mixer, outboard effects are added using inserts and busses, and then the 2-channel mix is recorded to ProTools. Just one A/D at the end. Then the computers can move choruses and song parts around, and burn CD's etc. Anywhere there is A/D or D/A you want to eliminate that IMHO, or use the best converters affordable.

Back