i hate when people chop samples just to be chopping em

haha, sometimes it can sound pretty dope though, heatmakerz for examples they took it to another level.. sometimes it's that choppy sound you're going for! Me personally I like it, but it's all a mtter of taste I guess

haha, sometimes it can sound pretty dope though, heatmakerz for examples they took it to another level.. sometimes it's that choppy sound you're going for! Me personally I like it, but it's all a mtter of taste I guess

i mean sometimes, or for some beatmakers it makes sense. i like the choppy sound too. what i was talking about is mostly people getting into this thinking you HAVE to chop every 16th note and go crazy with it losing all melody

I chop shit up just to see if I can get a new groove out of a piece of a piece of music I already think is dope.
Just because.
I think of it as an extension of one of the elements. That means something to me.

I just think it gives the beatmaker more satisfaction in playing the melody rather than just letting the loop play itself. I used to have an old drum machine and clicking a mouse is not as satisying as tapping out the beat. It's easier but not as rewarding and interactive. Plus it's good practice in getting your timing down for those songs where chopping is really required. Boon Doc from Youtube used to play out eveything in 16ths even straight loops before he switched to keyboards. I used to say the same thing until I started having cravings to tap out melodies& patterns sometimes after switching to strictly software.

Last edited:
I just think it gives the beatmaker more satisfaction in playing the melody rather than just letting the loop play itself. I used to have an old drum machine and clicking a mouse is not as satisying as tapping out the beat. It's easier but not as rewarding and interactive. Plus it's good practice in getting your timing down for those songs where chopping is really required. Boon Doc from Youtube used to play out eveything in 16ths even straight loops before he switched to keyboards. I used to say the same thing until I started having cravings to tap out melodies& patterns sometimes after switching to strictly software.

i didn't even mean it like that. i chop everything too, even if i leave the loop as it is just so i can control it better. i'm talking about people just chopping samples cuz they think you have to chop everything and re-arrange every16th note and it ends up sounding like shit. because a lot of people starting off do this i've noticed

Last edited:
I don't care what others do with their music.

this.

I personally wouldn't put my name on a beat that has a looped sample with a kick and a snare that i added.

Too choppy beats sound like garbage sometimes, i admit that. Many of my beats sound so bad that i have to clean my vomit off the floor after the chopping process.

I agree lol, sometimes their beats sound like the chops are put together randomly. I think that even those beats actually make sense, it's just that the style is unorthodox so the beat doesn't "grab your ear" at first listen. I personally don't always chop the sample if i think that original melody is already great. I would rather loop it and throw my drums over it than chopping it up just to say that i am "being creative" lol.

@the essential and OP, would you say that this applies to the beat made for Jay Z/Alicia Keys for the Empire State Of Mind song?
cause it was sampled from an old song and sounds identical to the original, but has obvious chop points if you know the original.
actually, lots of hiphop does this...

just curious, cause everyone bugs out on that specific song like it's something great, when it's just a strip of an already great song.

After producing hip hop music for over 25 years I can tell you, there are a lot of people who chop just because of the fascination of chopping. They chop because they can. Most often they chop a sample and do not leave space for recording vocals. In other words, the track is too busy. You can attribute this phenomenon to the beat battle culture where the focus is just the beat and not how the beat is used in context to song structure and vocals. Some even have this imaginary standard and guidelines that they use as a reason to chop instead of loop which is absurd. Instead of trying to reinvent hip hop production, master it to advance creativity. Sample chopping when used in it's proper context is a beautiful thing no doubt but just because you got 16 pads doesn't mean you have to use them all. Sample chopping has fallen into the same dilemma as trap music production. Same drum patterns, kicks, snares, and style of chopping. Don't try to reinvent sampling. Master the craft. Peace be with you................Rob Mixx

After producing hip hop music for over 25 years I can tell you, there are a lot of people who chop just because of the fascination of chopping. They chop because they can. Most often they chop a sample and do not leave space for recording vocals. In other words, the track is too busy. You can attribute this phenomenon to the beat battle culture where the focus is just the beat and not how the beat is used in context to song structure and vocals. Some even have this imaginary standard and guidelines that they use as a reason to chop instead of loop which is absurd. Instead of trying to reinvent hip hop production, master it to advance creativity. Sample chopping when used in it's proper context is a beautiful thing no doubt but just because you got 16 pads doesn't mean you have to use them all. Sample chopping has fallen into the same dilemma as trap music production. Same drum patterns, kicks, snares, and style of chopping. Don't try to reinvent sampling. Master the craft. Peace be with you................Rob Mixx
Nice Share and useful info

@the essential and OP, would you say that this applies to the beat made for Jay Z/Alicia Keys for the Empire State Of Mind song?
cause it was sampled from an old song and sounds identical to the original, but has obvious chop points if you know the original.
actually, lots of hiphop does this...

just curious, cause everyone bugs out on that specific song like it's something great, when it's just a strip of an already great song.
no i don't mean that one at all honestly

You hit the nail on the head with this observation, I hate cats who think chopping is the be all end all for Hip Hop production.

Back