I am Still a beginner,taking a melody from a sample, i am using FL. PLEASE HELP:THX

Ironsal

Now the main thing i want to know is how dr.dre took the melody from "i want to do sth freaky to you" and made it sth like "nuthing but a G thang" , he took the main melody and added his own drums,snares and other things, but now i wanna learn how to take a melody from the song's background and then add my own drums... Really want this, a video would be the greatest but if its just text its ok just make it a bit simple coz i am a beginner. CHECK YOUTUBE FOR BOTH THOSE SONGS? THE SAMPLE THEN THE SONG

Hmm I would think he took the first beginning as the sample and made his own bass sound similar along with the other instruments. and took the melody from it by playing the instruments along with the sample. I've jacked a melody like that before. Just play your keyboard or guitar while the sample plays and this is how you play by ear lol. That's the best advice I can give

He just took the first 2 bars and replayed a lot of the OG elements over the top, reinforced the drums. Bang, a classic.

that first explanation sounds hella complicated, wish ihad the talent to play that many instruments

It ain't shit if you know how to play the piano or have basic theory. I don't even consider myself a pianist, but I'mma step ahead of alota these niggas.. Sometimes I find myself just playin the piano over some drums til I find a melody, then keep playin w/ it while I'm goin through sounds. Simple as that..

loopin up a sample is alot easier then creating ur own melody....cant front tho dres a beast

---------- Post added at 02:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 AM ----------

meant to give my input lol....i just listen to music in my editor an mess with looping until i find a good loop, trim it save it find the BPM by stretching then figure out my drums

I agree with Mersikil's theory.

Anytime i thought of sampling like that, that was the only way i could think of how to do it so that's what i did. Find a part of the song that has just melody for atleast 2-4 bars, usually the intro and then layer your own drum and snare sounds over the original since you can't remove the original drums, atleast to my knowledge. Then you can add your own 808's or whatever at your own timings. So ya that's how i do it, i couldn't think of a better way.

Im new to sampling and Im making first steps but I really think that the best way to sample is to learn how to play the melody by yourself.. then you can add bassline, piano, etc.. And you will make a level since you won't be just making choruses by muting your drums and playing just the sample! Making variations is something I wanna learn. Don't know how, but I'll get there.

Back