How'd RJ do that?

enltguy

So, for practice, I'm working on chopping all the original works up, and creating a "cover," if you will, of Saliva (probably better known for the track Doom spit over, but an RJD2 creation that appeared on "In Rare Form"). I'm noticing that he's gliding between samples. My question is, am I using the wrong software (or is there some hardware I need), or am I just missing something. Too green on this site to include a link, but you can find RJD2 Saliva on YouTube. Maybe I lack some finesse, but when I chop those horns, there is no way to make them so smoothly transition into each other like that. Maybe I need to jump out of quantizing, but then again, it's the nature of the software I tend to work with. Any thoughts?

Cool track. I'm not sure if you know that there's an entire RJD2 sub-forum to search through, but yes, he was here at one time and it is here.

Here's a thread where someone asks him about sample technique and he mentions that he used an MPC, and some other important points:

question on sample technique

GJ

Thanks for the link, Gregg! Still open to hearing more from others, in case there is anything known more specific to this track. That ... well, does answer my question, in a sense, though. I need to get off the quantizing software, and just start punching pads to get the flow. Guess it's time to start investing a little more money to get the sounds I need. I've definitely been cheap as far as my music production goes, thus far, but haven't felt the need until now, seeing more clearly what using a good piece of hardware can do for the human element.

Back