How to work with vocals

kazadvic

Hi,

I produce house music, with a bit of UK funky, and I'd like to use vocal samples in my tracks, the problem is I have no idea how to do that...
The idea is to get an acapella (essentially from r'n'b female singers) and work on it to get "sounds" and not really words. I can't post links yet, but try to look on Youtube for songs from Koreless, like "Away" or "Lost In Tokyo".

I tried to cut a small part of the vocal but I don't know which tool to use, the simpler seems too simple actually.

I work on Ableton Live.

Thanks in advance :)

I'm not sure but I think that many dance producers are using the album version of songs and using a band pass filter to isolate the frequency they want and make it work in their mix. Not 100% sure of this though.

Hmm, I actually use Adobe Audition and it has a Center Channel Extractor effect. Since vocals are usually centered, it can try to extract them. You can set the frequency to match the vocals. It works well enough, it even has an Acapella present. It really depends on the track tho....

Hmm no you didn't get the question. I don't want to isolate anything from original tracks, I already have acapellas. I just want tools to work on these acapellas, like isolate a work (I can cut it from the acapella) and make it longer, reverse it, pitch it (but without make it faster, just change the tone, do you know what I mean ?), etc...

This is only available for Windows, I'm running on Mac :/
But I think this is the kind of tool I could use, anything on Mac ?

Oh theres this one vst that I always use its called pitchwheel by quikquak. Trust me its really good just google it man.

Add warp markers to the sections of the acapella that you want to sample. then right click and slice to new midi track. Now you have your chops in a drum rack and you can mess around with them. You can change the pitch up/down, add reverb or delay, reverse the chop, filter out unwanted frequencies, etc...

youtube(dot)com/watch?v=BnW2nhxbwp0

the video above teaches you how to make a new slicing preset that maps the drum rack macros to vol, spread, pitch, start, release, attack, etc...
its helpful. take a look

what i do is cut the acapella in Sony sound forge and i also clean them up in it. Maybe add some Effects also. Then i import them into kontakt and i refine the samples into it. I then map the samples to my keyboard or mpd. If you want to pitch shift them you can use the pitch tool or just change the root note of your sample. You also have have a tune knob and lots of effects. Takes some time to get to know the software but it's still pretty user friendly if i was you i would try that out!

keep at it!

Back