How and where do Samiyam and Flying Lotus get there drums from?

Nitelite

Flyin Lotus and Samiyam's drums or any producer with that bit of space futuristic brainfeeder sound got very tight crystal clear drum sounds.

How do they do it? And do they use sound banks or sample everything themselves?

They take old vinyl breaks, chop them up, and then they pull out the kicks and snares and layer them on top of other breaks, then they get compressed and and filtered. When it comes time to throw the drums into a track, flylo usually side-chain compresses them to get that really hypnotic feeling. Look up sidechain compression of you don't know what that is. People like J Dilla and Apollo Brown also use sidechain compression on their drums to get that nice bumping effect.

all over dude they rip things from movies old tapes video games. sample something original you can turn pretty much any sound into a kick snare and hat if you know how to use a sampler. as mentioned compression is huge for these guys it basically is the aesthetic for their tracks most of which they do with racks/hardware. i read in an interview samiyam got one of his fav snares from like the noise of a zombies head being smashed in some old video game. these guys are all about having fun. so have more fun and worry less about your sound it'll take care of itself. and def stop worrying about how other cats sound.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure most producers no matter the genre get their drums from old vinyl/reel to reel breaks. Of course there are plenty who make their own drums too. I personally prefer the warm feeling of nice vinyl Q drums.

all over dude they rip things from movies old tapes video games. sample something original you can turn pretty much any sound into a kick snare and hat if you know how to use a sampler. as mentioned compression is huge for these guys it basically is the aesthetic for their tracks most of which they do with racks/hardware. i read in an interview samiyam got one of his fav snares from like the noise of a zombies head being smashed in some old video game. these guys are all about having fun. so have more fun and worry less about your sound it'll take care of itself. and def stop worrying about how other cats sound.

Thank you both for your answers and you are right, it is about having fun. I notice that when I worry about 'my sound' and stuff the creative impulse to make something goes away. Thanks for your advice.

Peace!

---------- Post added at 12:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

I tried Side chain compression once in Reason. I had a chords loop and I put some drums over it. It seemed to me as if every time a drum kicked in the chords loop in the back fell down in volume. Is this kinda what happens when you use side-chain compression?

Back