how to train your ear to find samples?

SimpleBeats

whats the best way to train your ear to find samples? i have no idea how to train my ear, so are there any things i can do to train my ear so that i can find good samples? any tips or advice is appreciated thanks.

listen to songs especially old ones. listen to some of your favorites beats, the instrumental preferably, and see how you your favorite producer uses samples/sounds. go to 'who sampled' and find the parts they used and how they fit them in. mess around with making your own songs and get experience using samples. practice practice practice.

basically no one can teach you how to train your ear, you gotta practice listening and putting that into practice. the more you do it, the better you will get. study others and how they use sounds, then do it yourself.

you develop your sound through time.

mood really effects my sample selection.

sometimes i like soulful, vocally driven stuff. other times, however, i enjoy really lounge-inspired music to even rock fusion.

it depends on what you, personally, are seeking

just dig for the fun of it and discovery of new music. the ear will train itself.

mood really effects my sample selection.

Absolutely!

Unless I'm strapped for time (TBH that's fairly regular with a baby in the house right now) a big chunk of my production time is made up of listening to records - I might go in with a specific song in mind that I plan on flipping sometimes but often I'll just random grab from my crate and listen until something pops out at me... Can happily spend hours just listening.
Luckily, Maschine's sampling/slicing workflow is incredibly quick so once I have a sample I can be flipping it within minutes...

Everybody does things differently. Once you flip a couple of samples on your own, you'll figure out what sounds good to you and what parts of songs, what type of songs, etc. to sample.

What comes to training your ears, Perfect ear 2 is an app for android phones which really trains your ears! It tells you everything you need to know about music theory. Check it out! It is really helpful whatever you are doing in music biz.

That's personal taste but it would be wise to learn about the basics of music theory.
And the basics of sound design.
And learning the functions of whatever sampler you use.

The more you know about what's in a sample, the better.

Listen to all kinds of genres too. If you're making a hip hop song don't sample from another hip hop song. I also like listening to classics because people like hearing something they like turn into something new and interesting.

What I've found works best is when I'm not actively looking for samples. Just train your brain to be on high alert. I just watch movies and listen to my normal "emo rock" music and I've actually found samples that I know no one has done before from this. Just my two cents!

It's a natural progression. Just listen to your favorite producers and then once you start making beats, your ear will let you know what sounds good. Also try change the rpm if you are using a turntable. Some of those sped up parts of the song where you're dropping the needle may sound appealing to your ear as well.

Well spoken! I find that I'm never able to sample when I'm actively trying to but if I'm just chilling and watching a movie or something, the idea and the song will just come to me

Back