How to sample a song with a BPM over 120

IMthatGUY

How you some of you expericenced samplers go about sampling a record with a BPM over 120 BPM... Just recently I came across a record that I want to sample but the BPM is over 130 and I tried to time stretch and pitch the sample down but I didnt like the results... So how do some of y'all do it without altering the record too much...?:confused:

cut the time in half think of 130 beats per minute as 65 beats per minute then maybe pitch it up, chop it up and timestretch from there.

^^^ YEA ^^^
Thats what i do. but it usually doesnt work good if the sample has drums on it already, playing 120bpm, but if its just intruments and no drums, like a kick and a snare, u can stretch the time between your kicks and snares. That will make is sound slower, giving u more space to speed up the sample.

much respect to yall samplers, i havent the first clue of what yall talkin about. lol.

what kind of song is it? how did u find the bpm? a lot of times programs that detect bpms will tell u it in double, meaning it'll say 130 but its really 65

RickySaL said:
what kind of song is it? how did u find the bpm? a lot of times programs that detect bpms will tell u it in double, meaning it'll say 130 but its really 65

I tapped the tempo out and it came to be in the 130 range... And I have a program that detected it and it came to be 134.987...

stick that thing in a CDJ or comparable. You can change tempo without pitch and if the sample doen't come out too digi, you can get some crunchy drums ass a bonus.

JrTMoney2 said:
why does cutting the BPM in half help with flipping the sample??

What's the difference between a bunch of 16th notes at 60BPM and a bunch of 8th notes at 120BPM?

well if you using fl studio usualy a 4 bar looped dats bout 140 bpm is going fit in 80-87 tempo, If your loop is longer you can do a 8beat/4bars and it will compress everything...

You're all thinking to hard. He's not even positive of the Tempo. Loop the part you want. Slice it for timing purposes and downpitch until it plays together smoothly without alot of choppiness at the tempo you want.

^ I was def. just thinking that.

99% of the time... I dont care what the tempo of the sample I'm looping is... I'll find it when I loop the sample seamlessly...then lay my own stuff on top of it...

The only time I need BPM is for remixes... though I'm making a workaround for that also...

Are you sure that this sample is actually 130bpm? It could be that the sample has a 3/4 time signature which is often the case when you try to detect it at 4/4 and you'll get a tempo in that range. If it's 3/4 and you detect 130 at 4/4 then just multiply that 130bpm by 2/3 and you get 86.666. Not sure if this makes sense to you, but try it out and see what happens.

Back