How to sample in Reason?

bgitz

I'm new to Reason so I need a little help. I have this mp3 and I want to rip a part from it, in Reason if it's possible? Easiest way would be to place the "L" and "R" tabs where I want them, and just loop it you know.

I can't open mp3 files in Reason so am I supposed to convert them first? Which device do I open the audio/mp3 in?

Any help is appreciated :)

You need to convert the mp3 to wav first off. Then you need to use a program such as Recycle or Soundforge (any software or hardware with audio editing capabilities will do) to do your chops and wotever. Then you need to export it again as a wav and import it into one of the samplers in reason (or dr rex if you exported as a .rex file).

Then you just play the notes on your keyboard and record!

SP

REAson cannot sample. It just plays them back like a sound module does. You can only rip/sample in progs like wave lab, soundforge, cool edit...

My technique is chopping up the file in audacity and exporting each chop into a wave. And then importing the chops into the nn-xt module. I sometimes use the Recyle especially if its a drum sample.

well you can open up what you want 2 sample in a program like audacity, pro tools, logic pro, etc., chop up the parts you want and then export it as a .wav then open up reason and bring the nn-19 module and open up the sample

Eveyone has just said the same thing, what's the point in that.

About as much point as this post?

SP

every 1 is sayn 2 use nn-xt which is the wrong 1 smart a$$...its nn-19

I use the NNXT for sampling. It's got a lot more features that speed workflow. I sample in reason by downloading my triton and then sampling from that. Reason then analyzes the sample, chops it, lays it down and sells it to Pharell and I just kick back and let the triton do all the work.

Anyone know where I can download an SP-1200 or an ASR-10?

nairb4131 said:
every 1 is sayn 2 use nn-xt which is the wrong 1 smart a$$...its nn-19

You need to get your facts straight before you start calling people names. You can use either for sampling!

SP

MadKhz said:
I use the NNXT for sampling. It's got a lot more features that speed workflow. I sample in reason by downloading my triton and then sampling from that. Reason then analyzes the sample, chops it, lays it down and sells it to Pharell and I just kick back and let the triton do all the work.

Anyone know where I can download an SP-1200 or an ASR-10?

You can't be serious...

Sure I am. I downloaded the SP-1200 to my computer last night. It came preloaded with 5 terabytes of the hottest samples my friend go by hiding under the Neptunes mixing desk and patching into their board, then running when Pharell caught him. My friend also lives in Timbaland's closet 4 months out of the year and underneath Kanye's futon the other 8. That's the only way to get the hotness. Just do what the popular people are doing. Innovation? whack.

Nah man, of course I'm joking. I think I saw that "Where can I download a Triton" on one of the FP T-Shirts @ Cafe Press.

but the NNXT is a dope sampler. I like how you can assign the root notes from pitch detection, and map them to the KB that way. saves a lot of time programming patches.

fruityloops.jpg

Man. I dunno. Fruity Loops is dope from what I have seen.

It reminds me alot of Ableton Live and Reason.
I just never got into using it becuase I didn't like the sound I got out of it.
I built the same track once in a version of FL my friend had and again in Reason and I liked the way the track in reason sounded so I stuck with reason. But FL is mad powerful. It was the first program I saw with an integrated beat slicer, which was hot back then since it cost less the Recycle.

BUT there is this kid down the block from me, I used to let him use my decks when he didn't have any, borrow my records and stuff, showed him how to scratch etc., bright kid. Picked it up fast.

and man! He uses FL and he has dope beats. DOPE. Waaaaay doper then I was at that point in my beatmaking career. He was showing me some stuff on FL and a I had to bust "The circle is now complete, when I left I was but a learner, now I am the master".

he was showing me some tricks with effects and I was like "dang yo, I gotta try that!"

I guess it's b/c he has no job, goes to High School and just makes beats all day long.

Man. I wish I didn't have to work. :(

hahaha.

question... in recycle or nn-xt... can you change the pitch of a piece without changing the time length? or vice versa?

Last edited:
LOL why are dudes saying you can sample in Reason when you can't ?
Mainboi you see that ? lol dudes lying must don't have reason just want to feel important.

Streetwize and Digoes are RIGHT!!!

So now Bgitz I will show you a program that will turn your audio stuff into mp3 or wav. http://www.mjjsoft.com/amm/ <-- go there and download it for free. Now the free version only does five tracks at a time, if you buy it, you will be able to do unlimited tracks, as I have done I purchased it and it's the most easiest program to do conversions. You can record your stuff to a cd then take that cd and put it in your computer then click on the application and check which ones you want to convert hit the button and it will take you to a choice of mp3 or wav, you choose which one and bam it will rip real quick. It will come up in an output box you name it then send it to your place of choice inside your computer and bammmmmmmmmm . Say if you have a sample this is good to use so you can bring it up in recycle if you have it and then turn those into rex files so it can go in the rex player.

Reason doesn't do audio recording nor sampling, even though dealing with the midi is so easy and wonderful it's like editing audio like in Protools, I love Reason, if I had to the choice to get reason over MPC I would take reason, being I have both I have learned my own technic how to incorporate my MPC with Reason attached to my Protools. The day REason can record audio and samples is the day all other companies will be on their azz to KILL THEM!!! lol :)

Recycle has in it where if you add sensitive lines you can take that loop and turn it to any tempo you need. Ummmm I do recall in recycle it has a stretch button=(time stretch) so it will fit right especially when you bring it up in the Rex2 player.

Protools has time stretch also, so easy to use, and beat detective to help you, but I always use recycle I love that.

Last edited:
Back