How to sample in Reason?

Impulseadidas2003 said:
I use acid to create perfect loops. My problem is with using the nn-xt. I map my sample on a keyboard note and play the sample until it ends. The problem with this is that I normally press the key longer than the end of the sample. This leaves an extra second or two of muted sound. I then proceed to go into Reason's "piano roll" and work over and over to align the end of the "piano roll" to exactly the end of the sample.

When I finish doing that I can simply loop up the sound by copying the "piano roll" of the sampled played on nn-xt multiple times?

Is there an easier way of doing this? I've been reading the forums and most of the time people do not go in to minute details when explaining sampling using reason.

Can I change a setting in nn-xt that will end the sample's "piano roll" even if I'm still holding the keyboard key?

I would really appreaciate an answer. I've setup my turntables finally and have good collection to start sampling from. PM if you want.

Thank You.

There is a loop function on the NN-XT. Look at all the knobs underneath the 'display screen' where your samples are and there is a loop one. Set this to 'FW' and it will just loop over an over. You don't need to go to Acide to loops it lot's of times.

That's why manuals were invented! :D

SP

damanja10 said:
My technique is chopping up the file in audacity and exporting each chop into a wave. And then importing the chops into the nn-xt module. I sometimes use the Recyle especially if its a drum sample.

the original sound stays on it i cant get the piano off and keep the sample

Last edited:
Nueve_19 said:
This is how you sample in REASON 3.0 or watever....

Requirements: RECYCLE, SOUND FORGE or watever program u wanna use, and REASON 3.0

1. Get a Song you want to sample(wat ever format)
2.Open it up with an audio editing program i.e. Cool Edit, Sound Forge or wat ever and take the loop or wut ever you want to chop up.
3. Save your loop as a wave file(.wav)
4.OPEN your loop with RECYCLE and here is where you'd chop up ur samples.....how do u do this? look on ur RECYCLE MANUAL or watever
5.SAVE IT
6.Start reason, create a new device called "DR. REX LOOP PLAYER"
and there you go you can play ur samples wit that usin ur midi keyboard. aiite peace

exactly.. idk y everybody rambles on nd off about nothin.. u need a music editing program (pro-tools, acid, adobe blah blah... cut the parts u want out ur sample.. speed it up slo it down wutever u want.. convert it to a wav. file.. open it in recycle place ur chopp points in the sample cut.. after ur satisfied with ur cuts save as a rex file.. open the file in a d.rex loop player device on reason nd make sure u have the bpm or tempo rite.. now u can use ur midi keyboard or if u have pads like a mpc or triggerfinger or wutever u can play the samples.. (i use a korg micokontrol it has keys nd pads ****s fire).. nd do ur thing

Xabiton said:
nope theres no time stretching options in reason or recycle
you can definitely time stretch in recycle. it's just not 1/2 as easy/functional as FL Slicer. i use recycle and time stretch.

immitate the mpc feel in Dr Rex

I'm new to Reason so I need a little help. I have this mp3 and I want to rip a part from it, in Reason if it's possible? Easiest way would be to place the "L" and "R" tabs where I want them, and just loop it you know.

I can't open mp3 files in Reason so am I supposed to convert them first? Which device do I open the audio/mp3 in?

Any help is appreciated :)

open up recycle en put the wav file in it then chop it up with the chops of your choice:
then go to Reason put the rex file in Dr,Rex
Then in the dr rex put the Amp Release hole the way down and the polyphony to 1

ask for more detailed version

Last edited:
Back