How to sample in Reason?

DaNOC said:
LOL why are dudes saying you can sample in Reason when you can't ?
Mainboi you see that ? lol dudes lying must don't have reason just want to feel important.
so ur saying that u cant make sample based tracks in Reason? Reason cant record audio but it can import samples and play them back. By ur logic there is no such thing as a software sampler because most of them are just glorified play buttons

When I seen the guy use fruity loops, he didn't have a keyboard nor a punch pad, to me that's wack. I mean use what you use but, I need to feel where I am making my own beat and have total control that's where the talent is. I have my MPC mastered and I do my thing with it. I mean not punching the pads just don't seem right IMO. I can't sit there and place kicks here and there choose 4/4 and a rhythm box, nah I need to hit those pads and bang out that's the fun, and I play keys so I need the M-Audio 88, and my Trinity to get busy.

www.soundclick.com/danoc

:)

X, what I am say is, you can't plug a trs up to your computer or firewire then pop in a CD and sample straight into Reason, that's what I am saying you can only load wav and rex samples into Reason. Loading and Sampling straight in are two different things. The MPC2000xl you can sample straight into that's a sampler not REason

I never said you couldn't import, I said "YOU CAN'T SAMPLE IN REASON" and you can't.

Last edited:
DaNOC said:
X, what I am say is, you can't plug a trs up to your computer or firewire then pop in a CD and sample straight into Reason, that's what I am saying you can only load wav and rex samples into Reason. Loading and Sampling straight in are two different things. The MPC2000xl you can sample straight into that's a sampler not REason

I never said you couldn't import, I said "YOU CAN'T SAMPLE IN REASON" and you can't.
Im just saying that most software samplers dont record into them so by ur logic ok u cant sample with reason what u call sampling I would just call recording. In my eyes sampling is really the art that comes once the sample has been loaded and the track is being created. By what ur saying there is no such thing as a software sampler. Many soft sequencers have samplers onboard but the Kontakt, battery, ect arent samplers right?

X ^5 correct, they call them samplers because you can import samples into them but not sample straight into it nor can you record into it, as to say plug up a cord to the computer and bypass the import to just sample straight into the software, no it doesn't do that. Now I am not saying this will never happen cause they probably working on that now. If you can send Audio straight into protools then they will probably make a software sample where you can pop in a cd on your hardware plug that into your computer optical and the computer picks it up and sends it to the software, so it's not impossible. LOL they trying to get all the money they can now then " hello folks we have the new software that you can sample into" lol they always do that. Oh I can sample straight into my Protools, I open up protools, run my CD player straight into my 002Rack and bammmmmmmm it records the audio and then I just trim what I don't want and do a loop :) easy. I use to do that but I like to turn that CD into a Wav file and bring it into Protools then loop it. You lose 0% quality and I love it.
I see where you are coming from X.

16hojk8.jpg

www.soundclick.com/danoc

Last edited:
DaNOC said:
X ^5 correct, they call them samplers because you can import samples into them but not sample straight into it, as to say plug up a cord to the computer and bypass the import to just sample straight into the software, no it doesn't do that. Now I am not saying this will never happen cause they probably working on that now. If you can send Audio straight into protools then they will probably make a software sample where you can pop in a cd on your hardware plug that into your computer optical and the computer picks it up and sends it to the software, so it's not impossible. LOL they trying to get all the money they can now then " hello folks we have the new software that you can sample into" lol they always do that. Oh I can sample straight into my Protools, I open up protools, run my CD player straight into my 002Rack and bammmmmmmm it records the audio and then I just trim what I don't want and do a loop :) easy. I use to do that but I like to turn that CD into a Wav file and bring it into Protools then loop it. You lose 0% quality and I love it.
I see where you are coming from X.
i see what ur sayin i just simply disagree

No problem :) when you are able to sample straight into Reason let me know then I can bypass the "IMPORT" part :)

Last edited:
its not gonna ever happen and Im good with that I prefer soundforge actually kuz i store all of my samples on the pc and load them later

X I store all my samples in the PC too, in a folder and I open up Reason and if I want brass it will locate all my brass, if I want guitar I type in the word guitar and it will pull every guitar on my PC. So it's very easy for me, to load in reason. When I am rocking my MPC I have two hard drives for that external but I love Protools and I do my stretching there which is a one to step and I am done. then I can make it a wav file and put it back in the MPC or REason it's all good :)

www.soundclick.com/danoc

DaNOC said:
X I store all my samples in the PC too, in a folder and I open up Reason and if I want brass it will locate all my brass, if I want guitar I type in the word guitar and it will pull every guitar on my PC. So it's very easy for me, to load in reason. When I am rocking my MPC I have two hard drives for that external but I love Protools and I do my stretching there which is a one to step and I am done. then I can make it a wav file and put it back in the MPC or REason it's all good :)

www.soundclick.com/danoc
ur talkin one shots im talkin lps i save them in mp3 format and then cut my loops in soundforge convert them to wav and load to reason

I think dudes are confusing samplers/recorders with sound modules. Reason is a sound module because it HOLDS samples and PLAYS them back. It cannot record so that does not make it a sampler.

hope that makes sense..

This is how you sample in REASON 3.0 or watever....

Requirements: RECYCLE, SOUND FORGE or watever program u wanna use, and REASON 3.0

1. Get a Song you want to sample(wat ever format)
2.Open it up with an audio editing program i.e. Cool Edit, Sound Forge or wat ever and take the loop or wut ever you want to chop up.
3. Save your loop as a wave file(.wav)
4.OPEN your loop with RECYCLE and here is where you'd chop up ur samples.....how do u do this? look on ur RECYCLE MANUAL or watever
5.SAVE IT
6.Start reason, create a new device called "DR. REX LOOP PLAYER"
and there you go you can play ur samples wit that usin ur midi keyboard. aiite peace

diegoesk said:
I think dudes are confusing samplers/recorders with sound modules. Reason is a sound module because it HOLDS samples and PLAYS them back. It cannot record so that does not make it a sampler.

hope that makes sense..
yet the mahines themselves say sampler. name a single software sampler that records its own samples? the reason hardware samplers record is because if u dont record into them how else is it gonna recieve the sound standalone?

Xabiton said:
yet the mahines themselves say sampler. name a single software sampler that records its own samples?

Have you ever tried Emulator X2? Not only can it sample, but it has a new feature called synth swipe. WHich allows you to sample all the presets of your hardware synthesizer....

Ive been purchasing sound modules from zzounds.com, sample the presets , then send it back before the 30 day return is up. Im working on getting a kurzweil 2600R.....:cheers:

I get what your saying though. THe situation is confusing and companies tend to feed off of it...

diegoesk said:
Have you ever tried Emulator X2? Not only can it sample, but it has a new feature called synth swipe. WHich allows you to sample all the presets of your hardware synthesizer....

Ive been purchasing sound modules from zzounds.com, sample the presets , then send it back before the 30 day return is up. Im working on getting a kurzweil 2600R.....:cheers:

I get what your saying though. THe situation is confusing and companies tend to feed off of it...
I havent kuz I dont have much time for emu but ur sayin u can record into this instrument standalone?

LMAO, DaNoc my dude straight up...

Yo, it's called a software sampler, but DaNoc is saying technically it's not an 100% sampler, becaus eyou can't record wave files using it. That is true, all hardware samplers do that, you can record sounds into the program. Reason, NNXT or whatever you can't. But Reason you still can upload, would it be just better to do it in SOundforge or Wavelab and be happy. Who cares if Reason or Recycle doesn't let you record in it (it would be nice if Recycle does that), but just get a wave editor, how about this one:http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/masters.html

its free and easy to use, and its unlimited MP3's

Xabiton said:
nope theres no time stretching options in reason or recycle

by default there is a timestretch in recycle, but we know its garbage....

i just use Acid's since its the easiest one.

DaNOC said:
When I seen the guy use fruity loops, he didn't have a keyboard nor a punch pad, to me that's wack. I mean use what you use but, I need to feel where I am making my own beat and have total control that's where the talent is. I have my MPC mastered and I do my thing with it. I mean not punching the pads just don't seem right IMO. I can't sit there and place kicks here and there choose 4/4 and a rhythm box, nah I need to hit those pads and bang out that's the fun, and I play keys so I need the M-Audio 88, and my Trinity to get busy.

www.soundclick.com/danoc

:)

its if you only do it right, dudes won't even move there kicks and snares (too the left or right alittle) just leave it all machiny...

Last edited:
the time stretch in recycle isnt a time stretch tho its a delay thats why its so garbage i just turn the $hit down to 0% and use the delay in reason itself

Xabiton said:
the time stretch in recycle isnt a time stretch tho its a delay thats why its so garbage i just turn the $hit down to 0% and use the delay in reason itself

LOL, yeah its like a "delay gate sensor"?(something like that)

its no purpose, but since it says timestrecth then by default recycle has a timestrecther.

but i'll just use the grid to the right tempo,

nn-xt sampling details

I use acid to create perfect loops. My problem is with using the nn-xt. I map my sample on a keyboard note and play the sample until it ends. The problem with this is that I normally press the key longer than the end of the sample. This leaves an extra second or two of muted sound. I then proceed to go into Reason's "piano roll" and work over and over to align the end of the "piano roll" to exactly the end of the sample.

When I finish doing that I can simply loop up the sound by copying the "piano roll" of the sampled played on nn-xt multiple times?

Is there an easier way of doing this? I've been reading the forums and most of the time people do not go in to minute details when explaining sampling using reason.

Can I change a setting in nn-xt that will end the sample's "piano roll" even if I'm still holding the keyboard key?

I would really appreaciate an answer. I've setup my turntables finally and have good collection to start sampling from. PM if you want.

Thank You.

Back