How Much should i charge......?

Temore

ok this is probably going into the wrong part of the forum but i figured since there are lots of experts here, I'd ask y'all... OK the question im tryn to figure out is how should i callculate how much i should sell my beats for, the situation im having is i have been passing out beat tapes for free and now im getting a shhit load of calls and email from people asking me how much i charge and i really don't know what to tell them so can i please get some advise

Whatever you feel they are worth.
All that matters (to me) is that you feel satisfied the money your getting paid is equal to, or greater than, the time and effort you spent making the beat.

the only way i sell my beats... well.. this sounds bad. i sell my wack beats to wack mc's for cheap in bulk. like ten for a hundred. and my good ones i keep for my group, cuz i emcee as well, and i got a few friends who are hella dope on the mic and i toss em joints for free. free for the dope peeps, sell to the beginners i guess haha

Ya I ask myself this a lot too but if I go by what others are saying I would feel content chargin someone 30 or 35 for a lease and atleast 150 for the exclusive.

I usually charge $100-$150 to wack rappers.

$50 to good rappers

And free to really dope rappers

LOL it all depends. Do what you think they are worth, like Gilson said.

agree with ozee and awake.. its all gonna depend, alottta people will tell you your saturating the game giving out cha' beats for less than fifty, but shoot. i throw em to the homies, if you want alotta local sales your gonna have to put some ppl on, thats just how it goes... but with internet im not really sure. "standard" is 50 for 3.5, i mean a single... i would say, or just some where around there. but yeah, gilson said it best in this thread.

you only sell composed beats not sampled beats ' if you sell original composed beats you can sell up too 10$-100$ it depends on the people you sell them to theres alot of suckers out in the maket willing buy anything cause they cant make beat if there life counted on it .

dont every sell "sampled beats" cause you have too clear the samples on that could be more then you can chew ' you can get sued if the samples r noticealble an get alot play people jus think they can make beats but once money is involved then your heading away from the whole point you started = i dont like putin a price but if a dummy is willing to spend some cotton dead presidents 'fine ' you twisted my arm then '

yeah it depends too if you want to lease or give exclusive rights -

Last edited:
i dont see a problem in selling sampled beats, especially to local rappers, just tell them its for promotional use and its a sampled beat

^^^^^ HAD THIS CONVERSATION LAST NIGHT. crazy, and i was told "you dont hit real baseballs in the practice cage"

ill give em away for local homies all day. everyday.

i dont see a problem in selling sampled beats, especially to local rappers, just tell them its for promotional use and its a sampled beat
lol out loud ' yeah cause in there mind they aint going to make it in main stream ' reality check ' no ' i jus think if you make sampled beat u should be able to compose it into note format in like an original carbon copy rather then jus puting out something that aint really original iother then the thought you jus layered a beat with some one elses effort an you want to steal there sound for 10 sec or so ' if you make a sampled beat an want to take responsibilty for making the sample recreaten it in note with real live instruments like dr.dre would or a live band would do or any other known musicain would remake the sampled beat to a composed copy then sell it other wise your jus taken credit for something other than the drums you threw on top of it ' composed a sampled beat is worth selling cause you remadde it the whole song with instruments' more gratitude for your werk '

sorry for my grammer doe doe ' got me going

Last edited:
lol out loud ' yeah cause in there mind they aint going to make it in main stream ' reality check ' no ' i jus think if you make sampled beat u should be able to compose it into note format in like an original carbon copy rather then jus puting out something that aint really original iother then the thought you jus layered a beat with some one elses effort an you want to steal there sound for 10 sec or so ' if you make a sampled beat an want to take responsibilty for making the sample recreaten it in note with real live instruments like dr.dre would or a live band would do or any other known musicain would remake the sampled beat to a composed copy then sell it other wise your jus taken credit for something other than the drums you threw on top of it ' composed a sampled beat is worth selling cause you remadde it the whole song with instruments' more gratitude for your werk '

sorry for my grammer doe doe ' got me going

definitely takes the whole purpose and convenience of sampling away

whatever you do, make your prices negotiable. i felt like i had my prices set, but as soon as i was willing to negotiate (actually that very same day) i sold a beat. people will be more inclined to listen if they can shoot the breeze with you on the price.

you only sell composed beats not sampled beats ' if you sell original composed beats you can sell up too 10$-100$ it depends on the people you sell them to theres alot of suckers out in the maket willing buy anything cause they cant make beat if there life counted on it .

dont every sell "sampled beats" cause you have too clear the samples on that could be more then you can chew ' you can get sued if the samples r noticealble an get alot play people jus think they can make beats but once money is involved then your heading away from the whole point you started = i dont like putin a price but if a dummy is willing to spend some cotton dead presidents 'fine ' you twisted my arm then '

yeah it depends too if you want to lease or give exclusive rights -

You most definitely can sell a sampled beat without worrying about sample clearance...you just state in your beat contract(assuming you use one) that the artist is responsible for clearing all samples...even then without a contract you can still do it because you're not actually selling the sampled material,instead you're selling your time spent making the beat as well as your composition and the structure of it (i.e. your chops, drums, etc...) If the artist wants to release the song commercially and sell it on any kind of media (i.e. cd, vinyl, tape) they would be the ones held liable in any kind of sample lawsuit.

Obviously People sell sampled beats all the time even the big leaguers.

edit: you can see from my sig what i charge...however if its someone i respect i may not charge them at all so it really depends.

Last edited:
You don't want to sell em too high, but on the flipside you shouldn't sell em too low either. The lowest I've seen is $5 a beat which I think is way too low. The artist is looking to advance his career, so buying a beat is like making an investment in his career. They should be willing to spend a good amount of money.

sampling

Legally, you are guilty of copyright infringement when you sample the record. But, the record company/copyright owner will never know and really doesn't care, until someone starts making money off it.

So, you can sell sampled beats but none of those contracts are going to clear you if the copyright owner really wants to get at you as the "producer." When and if that becomes a problem you can be happy, because you probably have a hit on your hands!

And as far as price is concerned- it's free market! Your beats are worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for them! Get as much as you can, or give them away if you think it will further your career in the long run.

ive never thought about selling beats>>

i would just give them out for tree>>

for exposure!!

Back