How much does a single vinyl record cost?

D

diegoesk

hey people. Im about to get heavy into the MPC 4k.

anyway, ive never purchased vinyl before and was just wondering

--what should be the price ranges for a single vinyl record?

--what determines the price of vinyl? I live in nyc btw.

--I just purchased 30 records from ebay, and it costed me about 18 bucks shipped. Is that a good price?

thanks guys...

NO!!! thats not a good price its so horrible like we get 500 record for a buck around here dude lol

nah man umm **** viynles for me usually 50 cents to a dollar for one well for the ones i get anyway i borrow lots from my grandmas friends and **** 2

depends on what and where you're buying them at

thrift stores are way cheap and record stores are more..
new wax epically high quality (180 gram) wax is way spendy..

yea you can pay a grip for records up to 50 bucks but i havent went up that high yet the most ive paid is about 3 bucks

also, what is the difference in OG and reissue. Why do ppl seem to not want re-issued stuff?

ameoba said:
collectors are funny - reason and logic go out the window

im one of them collectors, and it's true man, i could explain all the reasons why i hate reissues etc but it wont make no sense unless you collect too, the soulman probably explain it alot better than me, check him at www.worldofbeats.com, now there's a brother with more samples/drum breaks knowledge than all of these forum folks put together

good luck with that

whats the purpose of that site? Its like a long ass live journal blog.. :(

I can see this didnt really help much, but thanks anyway guys.. ill start diggin and learning bout OG's and Re's myself.....

Last edited by a moderator:
depends purely on the store. Ive seen records as cheap as a quarter and as expensive as $500 each

^ yep...

and I've bought records in bulk for $.25-$.50... and I've bought one record for $12... though I don't do that often. It's all a matter of taste.

i usally pay like $3 if i go to a record store but look in charity stores aswell i picked up for 25 cents a rare record that was featured on the documenty on diggin called the jig saw

the most ive paid for a record was 25 bucks...it was from a rock/play which happen to contain the song sampled for juelz santana "rumble young man rumble"

When I first started buying wax,I'd pay 15-35$ each and then I found dollar bins and realized that I enjoyed those records way more than the pricier ones and for sampling,dollar bins records will provide anyone with a lot of samples...lol
That Supertramp sample that Just Blaze used for Breathe is a 0.50$ record and that song was hot.
I bought 2 records,Deodato and Rocky for 25$(the first one 18,Rocky,7)
and a few weeks later,I went to my spot and found both of them for .99$!!
I usually pay no more than 5$ for a record now,mostly 0,99$ but I'd pay top dollars for a piece of wax,I really wanted though.

since u live in nyc then just go to the village by bleeker street and walk around i did that 1 day and found like 5 shops that sold old records to punk rock from the 90s.

there's a record shop that's real small with thousands of records called strider records on jones street. they have prices from .25 cents to like $300

At the end of the day homie go ahead and cop vinyl man $18 for 30 ain't bad, which even out for my man who said it was a bad price if he was paying .50 -$1. In this case, you would be paying $15 bucks for 30 at .50. But yeah, as far as advice hit up thrift shops. The dingier looking the better. And make sure they have record players in there so you can listen to what you cop.
Happy diggin brotha

my general rule is: if u want recodrs either to HAVE them or vecause u really dig the record/artist. then u gonna have to pay money.

if u r buyin records to sample from then dont pay much.

this is for 2 reasons. number one, why u gonna buy 20 records @ 50 bucks each knowing that u may not be able to sample from them. thats like a thousand dollars for no samples.

2) if u pay like $300 bucks for a record then chance are that its rare. now this logic may seem twisted but if ur obsessed on sampling records that people dont have/know about then the rare ones ARE NOT the best. this is because- like with "big beat" by willie squire- everyone knows about that record- whether we own it or have heard a trackcthats used it, we all know it, no mattr how rare it is.

ameoba said:
collectors are funny - reason and logic go out the window

I don't know why anyone would throw software out the window, but to each his own, I guess......:P

- - - - - -

On the subject of how much to pay for vinyl you have to realize that the price of a record is determined by two things- supply/demand and quality. If everyone wants a record (high demand) and there aren't many copies available (low supply), the price will be very high. (Think original pressings of almost anything by James Brown) On the other hand, if nobody wants to buy a record (low demand) and there are many copies of it available (high supply), the price will be very low. (Think Synchronicity by the Police - I have 6 copies of that record, please either kill me, or take a copy)

Quality is an important consideration. A record in perfect, brand new condition is going to be worth more than a record that is in horrible condition.

when i started out i dug in the dollar bins, those are hit and miss.
but if im in a certain section with dope records the average price i pay is $7 to $20 per record, but those are the ones i have listened to and KNOW have samples and nice breaks on them that i can flip, and in turn sell a beat for a lot more, making it an investment.

the truthe™ said:
my general rule is: if u want recodrs either to HAVE them or vecause u really dig the record/artist. then u gonna have to pay money.

if u r buyin records to sample from then dont pay much.

this is for 2 reasons. number one, why u gonna buy 20 records @ 50 bucks each knowing that u may not be able to sample from them. thats like a thousand dollars for no samples.

2) if u pay like $300 bucks for a record then chance are that its rare. now this logic may seem twisted but if ur obsessed on sampling records that people dont have/know about then the rare ones ARE NOT the best. this is because- like with "big beat" by willie squire- everyone knows about that record- whether we own it or have heard a trackcthats used it, we all know it, no mattr how rare it is.

uhmm i think it was billy squire, not wille that did big beat

i think

Last edited:
Back