How many of you...

Instead of being like "Dayum, *sadface*", I'd rather try and motivate myself and try to step my game up. Also, instead of comparing yourself to top producers, why not make more music and improve?

I Do. And it Strives me to be better than them. You should do the same. Even the Top producers probably do the same thing, your potential is only as good as what you listen to though. If any of you have seen it: Theres an interview with Alchemist on 9th Wonder's "The Wonder Year" Film where he's saying how he reacts when he hears a hot beat from 9th.

Another note, If you want to Try to re-make their beat and learn some more techniques.

Last edited:
I think comparisons are inevitable in every line of creative work, after all that's how you know at what "level" you are. Sometimes there's not even anything in particular that you can point to and say "oh, THAT'S why that beat is better", It's just of superior quality overall, 30 levels above. I try to motivate myself too, but sometimes I just get tired, spending an entire day trying to make a beat sound half decent, then "comes" 9th, dilla, nottz or another cat and just shoves it in my face hehe sometimes it motivates me, other times has the opposite effect, making me think that i don't have the necessary talent to get there. Maybe it is what it is, some cats just got it flowing naturally.. what do you think?

Honestly? I'm never disappointed that I don't sound like my favourite producers... I never think they are better than me either... Well, not anymore... I'm not saying I'm a top producer, I'm just saying I'm making music good enough to be on repeat on my iPod... Who's to judge whether I'm a top producer or not?

I make music cause I like it, not cause I want you to like it, that's just a bonus. The reason your top producers are top producers is because they go by the same principle, their competitors keep them on their toes, but they don't think 'DAAAAAAMN I need to make shit like Primo'...

Speaking of which, as someone previously pointed out, there's an interview of Al and 9th at Alchemists place listening to stuff off one of Big Remos releases, there's also a interview of Primier where he speaks on the same topic. On how listening to your competitors keeps you on your toes...

There's always room for improvement. Don't worry so much about what other producers are doing. Focus on developing your sound and just do you; be creative. When I listen to other peoples beats I use it to my benefit as a "study tool." Listen to well-established producers and pick out techniques and sounds etc that you can incorporate into your music. Take bits and pieces and try new things. It'll all fall into place if you use things like that to your advantage

Back