How many records do you go thru.....

Scratch n Beat

How many records do you go thru on the average before you get to a usable one? I download from P2P networks and I go thru on average probably 30 (pop, rock, soul, etc) tracks before i get to one that sounds usable. Is this the norm?

i'm going through my grandfathers old reocrds right now and so far have only found one usable track so far....hope there are some more good ones

Every track in the world has at least one or two pearls, it is just that we are not always in the right place to recognize them! Sometimes it takes me a year or two before I can use a piece of vinyl. Othertimes, I hear something I want the first time I play a track....

This is the primary reason I am still drawn to sampling - there is nothing as uplifting as playing a record I had one written off and finding some beauty within it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I normally find something in the first couple of songs i listen to.

SP

It depends some times I can listen to a bunch of LP's and find nothing sometimes I hear something and everything comes toghhter in minutes but I love the HUNT of going out spending hours looking for records then comiing home listening and listing until that right break or sound hit me its a rush.

Ghowell said:
Every track in the world has at least one or two pearls, it is just that we are not always in the right place to recognize them! Sometimes it takes me a year or two before I can use a piece of vinyl. Othertimes, I hear something I want the first time I play a track....

This is the primary reason I am still drawn to sampling - there is nothing as uplifting as playing a record I had one written off and finding some beauty within it.
:cheers:

A definate co-sign.

I think I'm different, I don't look for samples, I listen to music of all genres 24/7 for inspiration. Sometimes I hear a N.E.R.D. or Linkin Park album and get inspired to do a rock/hip hop beat from scratch, sometimes I hear a krunk track and bust out the 808s, listen to ballads to get blueprints for RnB based tracks, in the midst of just listening, sometimes you run across that track that makes you say damn...that's a hot sample! IMO that's way better than looking, because when you're not looking, if you gotta sample it, it's usually a damn good sample.

it depends on what yuo look for. for me, i cant find a loop for **** but if i hear a sound, which is primarily what im looking for, ill sample it.

I have this one record with 4 tracks on and so far I've managed to sample little parts of each track and make a beat from those samples (and some drums from elsewhere). I think that's a pretty good return. You've gotta have a keen ear and listen out for little snippets you can chop or filter etc

I only buy records of Artist or Bands I like at the moment. That way I enjoy listening to them even if nothing catches my attention for sampling.It may be a year or so that I may go bac and find something that I want to sample.

Just respect the music and all kinda things will open up for you.Down the road.

ONe,
JBm

Last edited:
20 flat out each one ....goes to the table & mixer to the sampler from there to audio editor.... for pitching and speeding to the sampler again to the "bangout" to the mixing board to be recorded then to the www.myspace.com/biaplz address for collective critique or review by people who love the music and make sure the business is handled @ the end of the day...to the listeners ears

every record has gold samples on it, doesnt have to be the perfect 87 bpm 4/4 melody that you just have to loop and equalize a bit. it's what you make of it.

30 is too much

if it takes that much

you listenin to the wrong type of music to sample

Back