How to make this sound?

massivewolf

0:34 is where the main sample starts
0:44 is the effect

I hear this in a lot of music, and can't seem to figure it out. I assume it's something that could be done with Auto Filter, tremolo or sidechaining the sample to itself but it doesn't sound exactly similar when I attempt it.

Thanks in adv!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you mean that wub-wub-wub effect, it sounds like an LFO controlling a filter cutoff. You can do it inside the synth or using an EQ plugin.

yep sounds like a wah pedal on steroids so auto-filter or automated filter cutoff would do the trick (lfo driving the cutoff frequency)

yep sounds like a wah pedal on steroids so auto-filter or automated filter cutoff would do the trick (lfo driving the cutoff frequency)

Glad you responded because here's the thing. I tried it and got close, but only close. What's driving me nuts is he somehow managed to make the lead part clean/prominent, while the background wobble sounds only slightly passed.

And yes, I shifted both the envelope and waveform really finely, bit-by-bit just to try to replicate it. But I wanna know how to adjust the filter in such a way that part of the sound of the sample is more pronounced while the background is less so. It seems like no matter what I do it's either all effected by the passing or not. Ugh lol.

Sounds like you need to control the LFO with an envelope, assuming you're using a synth as a sound source (you didn't say). I can't describe the process here but there's bound to be a YouTube video that shows you how. If you're working with a .wav (or .aiff) file plus autofilter and bandpass on an EQ then you could use a secondary sound source plus an envelope follower.

Thanks. I'll try it out. Btw, I was using the Auto Filter in Ableton.

Sounds like you need to control the LFO with an envelope, assuming you're using a synth as a sound source (you didn't say). I can't describe the process here but there's bound to be a YouTube video that shows you how. If you're working with a .wav (or .aiff) file plus autofilter and bandpass on an EQ then you could use a secondary sound source plus an envelope follower.

Glad you responded because here's the thing. I tried it and got close, but only close. What's driving me nuts is he somehow managed to make the lead part clean/prominent, while the background wobble sounds only slightly passed.

And yes, I shifted both the envelope and waveform really finely, bit-by-bit just to try to replicate it. But I wanna know how to adjust the filter in such a way that part of the sound of the sample is more pronounced while the background is less so. It seems like no matter what I do it's either all effected by the passing or not. Ugh lol.

the reason this has the sonic profile it does is that the bass part is not treated by the filter - i.e. only the sample is filtered in the manner we can hear

try to do what you have been doing by only applying the autofilter to the sample

True, but I was referring to the guitar part within the sample itself. If you listen closely, roughly 3 notes peak through at 0:57 in a semi-clear way. However, when I downloaded the song/sample and added the filter to it, the guitar notes also sounded muffled...
the reason this has the sonic profile it does is that the bass part is not treated by the filter - i.e. only the sample is filtered in the manner we can hear

try to do what you have been doing by only applying the autofilter to the sample

Unfortunately that's what I'd tried earlier. Tweaking those parameters little by little, and the sound either affected most of it or gave it the wrong texture.

I'll try again with both of your suggestions and report back.

Back