How long are your samples?

TDOT

What up FP fam?

I usually make my beats from scratch, but I'm feeling to get more into the sampling side of producing.
How long are your samples?
Will you sample a full 4 bar loop? or is it better to sample the 4 bars and then chop those up into 4 bars?

Is better do make tiny chops with ur sample?

I find that I'd be taking like an 8 bar loop roughly, and then auto chopping it over 16 pads.
When I go to put my beat together it can be choppy

For me its always different just depend what your tryna do, also with autochop i usually open the sample in edison and run a dull or medium chop then i manually adjust them

Depends where you feel the sample fits... I usually take a huge sample, play it over what i got... then chop bits up to fit in... timing is everything really.

iv'e started to like long chops ever since i got software. 12 second chops (does that even mean it's a chop lol...more of a whole 12oz steak ba-dum) then speed then up an octave higher. can get some interesting sounds form it/them.

but yeah. chop length is not really a matter. if you have smaller chops you can really get melodic of course but it's nice to play around with one hits.

my twopence

i love sampling. i'll use anywhere from sampling 4 bars to less that one second (hits or sound fx, single drum hits, single guitar and bass hits etc.) or little guitar licks, whatever. usually i'm more into making a college with bits and pieces rather than just looping a sample, tonight i'm gonna start one where i AM looping though with a track called "just got paid it's friday" or something, i'm not in my studio right now.

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

and i HIGHLY recommend recycle for chopping samples, it's an incredible piece of software. i edit my samples (effects, time stretch, pitch etc.) in soundforge, chop them in recycle, and sequence on my mpc 1000. these days i'm trying to get real nice with the samples so i haven't even touched my keys in a couple weeks.

I chop anywhere from half a bar to a bar.

If I chopped more than 2 bars then I would use that part of a sample as a chorus.

I love chopping small pieces of a sample and turning them into anthem.

If a track is sick enough, I'll loop it or take some decent sized chunks. I chop when the track is inspiring but lacks the time signature and/or consistency to be chopped into big cuts.
There's a lot more to it than just the chops though...sampling really is an art.
O and don't depend on auto chop. use it maybe as a base but it could be beneficial to get in there and tweak it. sometimes eliminating certain chop points.

I either keep mine small smothered in composed melodies to the point you'd never recognize the sample or take from all throughout the entire song and arrange something out of a song that is obvious. I mean taking a part for a chorus, part for a bridge, part for an intor, different part for the last verse, ect.

Ill sample 5 minutes of a song if need be. I just get what I want to make the track I want.

When it all comes down, it really just depends which part/s of the sample stand out from the rest of the song to you. It can be 1, 2, 4 bars, a word, solo instrument, break down, it doesn't really matter. I usually pitch the sample up or down and stretch it out a bit so it can fit to the beat/tempo I'm working on. Auto-slicing sometimes also will do the justice, and looping too. The important thing is not to do the same tehnique over and over again, it's all about expanding yourself, try slicing/reversing/EQ-ing the sample in different ways, maybe use it in two totally different songs, mix it with other one, etc. Like I said, it just really depends what you going for and how you feel and hear the song you want to sample.

Last edited:
for me no more than 4 bars per sample, and if it is even that long i end up shuffling it up throughout a track to break the monotony. as far as using samples through samplers(playback instruments)... i just use one note stabs and go as long as the note lasts.

for real, sometimes i use half of 1 song for 1 entire beat.
Like if the original song had 3 different hooks than i use all 3 hooks once in a 1 beat sometimes.
Looping is actually the hardest work if you want to use a lot of big pieces of a song.
I have beats that are more like entire remixes sometimes instead of just a short sample.

Back