How long does it usually take you guys to find samples

ridedemwaves

I love to make sampled beats but my only problem is it takes me forever to find one i can use and it really messes up my workflow, since i can't make music consistently. how long does it take you guys to find one and can you share some tips on how to effectively dig for one.

thank you

There's many answers to this question. But, to me, it doesn't take long to find samples because my workflow goes like this: I pick 1-3 random LP's and challenge myself to sample whatever sounds there is, and try be creative. I enjoy this method so much.

When I started making beats I was always looking for "the best" samples, and that took a lot of time, more than the beatmaking itself. That actually made the whole beatmaking so boring as the years went by. I ended up having hard-drive full of "dope samples" on which I propably used like 2%..

And since you asked for tips on how to dig samples effectively, i assume you mainly "dig" online? youtube is a great source. If I'm looking for samples online I just search with keywords that point me somewhere (for example: 1974 finnish progressive rock), and If I find an interesting song I see what else the user has uploaded on his channel. Works for me.

sorry for any spelling errors, I just woke up 2 minutes ago.

There's many answers to this question. But, to me, it doesn't take long to find samples because my workflow goes like this: I pick 1-3 random LP's and challenge myself to sample whatever sounds there is, and try be creative. I enjoy this method so much.

Yeah, the rhythm roulette method... As your vinyl collection (and buying habits) grow and improve, this method becomes much easier.
I often play another similar game on a 30 minute time limit.

I blind picked 3 LP's out of one of my boxes the other day and made a banger from a Grover Washington LP and a Western Movie Themes Compilation.
Had so many flips going I could've made 2 or 3 tracks out of the samples!

Today i I pulled a disc and got some beautiful chops that I flipped a couple times but struggled to get drums to fit.

Good days, bad days and frustrating afternoons.

If you're looking for the perfect sample it'll take hours, maybe a lifetime, if you want to make some beats it's just a matter of picking a record...

Don't get too hung up with digging, sometimes you gotta force yourself to try and flip something that seems less than perfect. Often it'll turn out way better than you thought it was gonna be.

I have two methods to find samples. The first is to fish randomly from my collection of vinyl, cd, or digital music. And trying to create something unique with what I have, it's fun and helps a lot in improving production. The second is to choose a music genre, and listen to it during bus trips, through youtube and spotify, and when I find a song I would like to sample, I write the name, and once home i download it.

Not long i got a hard drive dedicated to holdin songs i will sample at some point it makes the diggin process pretty easy

Back