How long does it usually take you guys to find samples?

Wonderkid

I've been messing around with making music on and off for about a year, and I'm into sampling and making original shit as well. But whenever I try to find a sample it seems like it takes FOREVER! Like I don't think it's ever taken me less than an hour to find something to mess with. Is this normal or do I just not have an ear for finding samples? I've only made like five beats with samples in all this time.

IT only take seconds...(for me)

My Album library is adequate...1200 Lps and 600 45's as well as 200 cd's...Ive got a patented color-coded system for cataloging sounds and keep them in sections as well as notes on a 3X5 index card inside the cover for specific places WHERE the dope sounds are...
Staying organized is the key. Youll never find the PERFECT sound when you need it, therefore youve got to spend some time by yourself, away from the internet and the video games and the tweets and your friends and lock yourself away and just LISTEN and LEARN...

best thing to do is to keep sampling those five artists that you sampled from. look up all their albums, most likely you'll find another song you can sample from them

It really varies from day to day. Some days everything will go right, and I will easily be able to find a lot of samples. Then some days it will take me a few hours to find just one sample, or none at all. Everyone's ear is different because in my opinion at least, certain samples are going to stand out to some people but not others just because of the overall feel of the track or another element. If I'm at my friends house and we're listening to records trying to find a track to sample, he might hear one and say "this is dope as hell we NEED to sample this" while I'll be thinking "what the hell does he see in this". At the end of the day, if it was really easy to find tracks we want to sample, it wouldn't be as fun or rewarding.

For me, it'll take 5 minutes to an hour or as soon as the needle touches the record. But like shady said, it varies from day to day. Sometimes I can be listening to a radio and find a perfect sample. Of course looking for any type of sample, it should stick out to you. Look through artists from genres you like, I usually stick to blues so Robert Johnson and Bobby Blue Bland would be in my arsenal of sample.

Searching for "that one hot loop" will usually take longer than understanding and hearing songs that may have different sections in them that you can chop and combine to make a whole new sound. Chopping will vastly increase your number in sample finds, when you listen to songs, dont just listen for that 4 or 8 bar loop, listen for different sounds and drops that can be possibly used, before you know it you got all these chops on 16 pads and play around til you hear something that sounds fire.

I've been messing around with making music on and off for about a year, and I'm into sampling and making original shit as well. But whenever I try to find a sample it seems like it takes FOREVER! Like I don't think it's ever taken me less than an hour to find something to mess with. Is this normal or do I just not have an ear for finding samples? I've only made like five beats with samples in all this time.

For me personally I find something to sample in ever song so....anytime between the drop of the needle until the song ends. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for. I look for one shots and very short phrases to compose around so... doesn't take long at all

accidental, if I try to listen for that one loop im focused on sampling and I try to force something that didn't come natural. It takes hours for me becuase i love all different types of music. There is days when I listen to vinyl all day and don't make beats and there is days when I could make 10 beats. Sampling is a feeling, your ears have to be working 24/7

Searching for "that one hot loop" will usually take longer than understanding and hearing songs that may have different sections in them that you can chop and combine to make a whole new sound. Chopping will vastly increase your number in sample finds, when you listen to songs, dont just listen for that 4 or 8 bar loop, listen for different sounds and drops that can be possibly used, before you know it you got all these chops on 16 pads and play around til you hear something that sounds fire.

This is actually a PERFECT way of saying it.

sometimes it takes days to find samples for me, sometimes minutes....if you could control how quickly you found samples would it be as natural??

Back