How long did it take to find your sound OR Have you found it yet?

FONZIFREE

A-VoyaginMusicGroup
I've been producing for 1yr and 3Mths now and i figure out sampling techniques everyday.
My sound i really think i have found it, Everyday its constantly changing but that's in skill level.
i have a more constructed aim when I'm flipping a sample, i used to just lay out my drums, chop the samples
then bang out what sounded good. Now i have an even more vivid image in my head when I'm listening to a sample,
Or the beat i can interpret from a sample... I'm constantly evolving and learning Tricks of the trade. out of the year and 3months
Id say it took a little over half that time to really find my niche in sampling. How about you?

still trying out new stuf but i feel i havent found my style yet

I'll never have enough of an aim to find a style. I'm not even to the point where I make beats consistently yet. I don't even follow a cycle of buying records, listening to all of them, mentally marking samples, then sampling to make beats. Right now I'm working off a small collection of records and just make beats randomly. Basically my processes is finding something on a record that could possibly work and making it happen. The sound that comes out is basically a product of me attempting to construct a decent beat out of whatever potential I can find. I think I'll always be like that even when I'm able start diggin' in the crates and beat making more consistently.

I work off minimal rules for beat making:
- only use samples
- if I sample it, I'm making a beat with it
- if I make a beat, I'm making it sound decent

That's it. I don't attempt to sound like anyone else, but I don't make it a mission to find an individual style either. I just do it for fun and try to make it sound good.

It's gonna take way longer than 1-2 years to find your sound IMO.

I'm going into year 6 and not even really worried about hardcore trying to find my own sound.

I still have way too much to learn, then get comfortable using those new things I learn.

IMO once your completely comfortable using every single nuance that can go into making a song, then worry about finding your own style.

Right now I'm pretty good on synths I can make any sound my imagination could think of relatively quick, but I'm not very good at composing songs.

Do you get what I'm saying? All of those things are almost art forms in themselves and need to be respected.

But what if it was the opposite? My compositions were good but I had almost no programming/mixing knowledge?

Still wouldn't sound so good.

If you're not good at one thing it's gonna hold back the other things that you are good at.

But of course this can also be circumvented with a proper crew and/or money, so go figure :topicclosed:

I have only been producing tracks in my spare time and dont have a whole lot but already feel like I have a pretty unique style. I dont know how long it will last but I feel like for now it is something that just came to me and I have been following where its taken me, but feel i will probably be swayed into more styles as i progress in my hobbie.

The thing is, I don't try to make a specific sound when I'm making my beats. It all depends on the sample. But, i'm always trying to get that 90's boom bap style to it. Sometimes I'm making soft, hard and sad beats, all depends in the mood I'm in, and on the sample. When you listen to DJ Premier, he is always trying to get these hard knockin drums on his beats. So, he have definitely found his own sound. DJ Premier have been making beats for yeeeears, so maybe it says itself. I just wanted to give an example. Listen to him, he got the same sound on almost every beat.

well look at Lex Luger, I DIDNT Know his BEATS are called TRAP MUZIK? what is that? who makes that except lex luger? never heard of that before i started reading on FP forums.

His beats are cool tho haha, looks like its really hard to make those beats( cuz im a noob, tell me whatchu think), they all seems like the same BUT no its not the same at all... i dunno haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDpKHr707QI

I dont know what trap muzik is but is it these kind of beats? or is it only lex luger style? maybe im confused haha.

It's not really hard to make trap music... Ain't really a challenge at all. I think it's harder to make a dope boom bap beat based on samples, than making trap music.

im two years at it and i think im finally finding my own sound. the key for me is doing a lot of beats focusing on quantity over quality, then going back to all those beats and looking for things i liked, and perfecting them. When you make a lot of beats and you make them fast you try things and sort develop a routine. The other most important thing is to limit your self. unlike conventional wisdom says, having more options actually limits creativity.

Just takes doing to know what your sound is. Just do what comes first to your mind when composing because that's usually what you'll end up doing as your sound.

Took me a few years. Then again when I started producing it took a long time just to figure out how to produce. Then after that you still had to figure out your tools it wasn't like now where you can find anything you want to know via a fast youtube or google search and have a good grasp on production in a few days

I really don't have a certain style or sound at all, but what really matters to me is if the music I'm making can make someone feel different. If I can influence them in any way than I'm doing something right. I'm not saying that I aim for that particular objective but its nice to see someone feeling your music in way that no one else can.

u make ure own sound by staying true to ureself... make wat u like... find your own routine... find a formula and stick to it... or dont.

boom bap is reminiscent of 9th wonder its pretty much wat it sounds like kicks, snares, spatially placed without much high hats. boom bap... boom boom bap.... --bap is a snare... boom is a kick

I've been at it for about a year and I'd say I haven't really found my style yet. But I'm a lot closer to having my own style than i was when i started, that's for sure.

No, I'm not there at all. I know what I'm aiming for and it's most likely a long way left... but it will be worth it. :]

It never stops , I learn something new every day ..

I think I found my sound Epic in proportion full orchestration wit that special knock that only comes with experience !!

Who cares? Quit trying to fit into the box and just make good music...

Everything you hear on the radio and see on youtube is at least 6 months to ONE YEAR old.

Any fool that is trying to put himself in a BOX will find his "style" outdated very quickly...

When people other than your friends and blood relatives start telling you youre dope, and a couple of your rivals start caling you up to hang out with them so they can suck off some of your juice, then you will have a "style" whatever the hell that means...PEACE:cool:

Back