How to lay a bass line on a sample

Remo Da Produca said:
Thanks Alot!!!The fret bass on FL Slayer is perfect!!!As soon as i get my registration key,I'll be doin sum fiyah!!!and wunderful,I am not financially advanced so i cant afford $200..
how much do you have to pay for the registration key? I got the demo....

dwells said:
My fix is learning to play bass. spend $200 on a bass, get a dvd. practice for 2 months. You are all set.
That sounds like a good idea but it seems so intimidating when you go to the music store how do you pick a guitar. There's so many. How would a non player know what would be good for playing? I'm looking into playing something though. Maybe I'll try bass.

to start playing a real bass i sugest going for a fretted bass first as learning on it will be much easier.
then get a cheap fender or hell even a rouge from musicians friend....
for a starter it doesn't have to be the best.... jsut enough to get the job done.

**** a four string bass, go for a single string bass. its alot cheaper.

ye dudes i play bass man. i dont think thats the best plan! u need a **** hot bass to make it sound ok, or be willing to play around for years and years! and the bass MUST be active for the sound u want(realisticaly)

i have a $200 and i have to decide first what pick up to play over (front or back) then what volumes to put the pickups at. then EQ the **** out of it. then play with chorus flange & reverb, then realize im not happy with the sound (I ASSUME u guys are producin hiphop)then u gotta go to the extrmities of learning an instrument allthough bass is very easy. i think that u may aswell find a bass & sample it & use a pitch shift plugin to make the melody. u can even take a pretty short sample & time stretch it befor it sounds not-like a bass (within reason)

i use this method & i can play bass to a far higher standard than i need to for most the music i create.

also, if u spent the two months learning keyboard then u could play a synth bass, a sampled bass, aswell as a whole host of other instruments

...jus my opinion though!

u post a good point that bass does take some time and work but when u get it right it still sounds better than any keyboard bass out there. and the main thing is holding fingering and what strings do what keys i dont play bass but i dont think that can be super difficult tho i may be wrong

nah dude, u mis-interpret what im sayin. bass is seriously easy! in 2 months u could proabably play everythiong u newededn with 8 or so lessons. BUT what im saayin is to get an acceptable sound u have to spend $$$'s ,man, and sampling a bass is not only easy, but it means u can get the bass sound that u want & if u spent the time & money on playin keyboard & havin $200 worth of lessons, then you could load a bass sample into some software and play it, thus havin the ability to play & the sound AND learning keyboard 4 the same price!

i feel u on that note. And i agree if u get a bass u should get a good one which means spending a good amount of money. But if sound is whats important here isnt it worth it?

i dont think so! not for hiphop anyway. i love playin bass, but i never use it for hiphop.

in my opinion u could get a perfectly good bass from a record- for like $10 but ur suggesting spendin like 500-1000 plus 2 months of learning, so in my eyes: no! lol

as i said before, 500 bucks of keyboard lessons would go a whole lot further!

i guess we may have to agree to disagree here. i love the sound of live bass and maybe its just the in thing right now but it seems like everyone is using a bass player on their tracks i might as well join the trend

nah X, im not sayin dont use live bass, but i say sample a live bass

im just sayin original live bass sounds better than sampled live bass or even replayed live bass would work

I like to lay a live bass line to the track then chop it like it was a sample

Back