How the hell is live dubstep made?

Adr

Hey, dudes! I wanna know how producers like Skrillex make live dubstep, i mean, i've already done basic dubstep on FL Studio but i wanna know how they make it on live performances: how, which hardware, wich software do they use to get it..? Thanks!

Skrillex doesn't spin live. Most big name producers or DJ's don't spin live. One reason is that too much cash is on the line for them to **** up. If you did want to do Live dubstep, you have to create loops and samples with each part of the song. Like a drum loop, synth loop, vocal sample, and bass loop. And trigger them using a Maschine, Launchpad, MPC, or something like that. There may be other ways, but That's one way.

MIDI controllers... that's how you perform dubstep live. Set up tweaks with something like a BCR2000, so that when you turn a knob, something you have wired together modulates. When you go deeper, you can create "matrix's"... which is when this knob turns that knob, that knob turns that knob... some people consider knobs that do two things at once "matrix's... but a true matrix is linear like I described above. In short, you need to set up tweaks and also have an "undo" button assigned somewhere on the controller so the sound that you modulated returns to it's original setting.

Skrillex is probably the worst example of 'live' dubstep. All he does is crossfade and beatmatch.

lol. skrillex uses ableton. seein he does youd think he has some live aspect to his shows. well theres nothing. it seems like he bounces the full track and throws it in ableton, presses play and puts a couple of effects on now and again. my best suggestion is something like ableton live with an apc, thats what i use for hip hop. could work even better for dubstep

Well, i use FL Studio 10 but also play keyboard with Sugar Bytes Cyclop, so i think i could do it by having some drum, bass loops on FL Studio, play them with a Lounchpad, tweek modulation knobs with the knobs of my M audio Radium 61 and play keyboard with Cyclop (check it out). I also could record at my live performance some guitar loops (with guitar, effects pedals or Guitar Rig, audio interface) and mix and master all those loops at the performance? It sounds pretty cool :D
PS: So you say that Skrillex, such as David Guetta, only mixes songs and add effects as DJ and they don't remake the songs at live? That sounds much easier lol

yeah that pretty much dont have stems and clips from what it seems like. what i do for hip hop is render the stems, makes it musically way easier to mix cos you can cut the drums out of one track and bring in the others, drop the tunes from the first track and slowly bring in the composition on the second one etc. theres a whole long article deadmaus wrote about not being too live. he kinda has a point, but at the same time if you that big you should be able to perform certain things live. thats what im strvinig to do right now. your plan sounds pretty good. if you can launch clips or loop on FL go for it. i just find ableton to be the best for live use in the electronic music world, especially when you making and playing your own music.

Skrillex doesn't spin live. Most big name producers or DJ's don't spin live. One reason is that too much cash is on the line for them to **** up. If you did want to do Live dubstep, you have to create loops and samples with each part of the song. Like a drum loop, synth loop, vocal sample, and bass loop. And trigger them using a Maschine, Launchpad, MPC, or something like that. There may be other ways, but That's one way.

that's not true.. The Chemical Brothers do theirs live all the time... Right down to pounding out the beats, no loops involved...

Back