How to get rid of that annoying 'POP' with looped samples...

Oxomoco

Hey guys, i'm new here, just discovered it, seems like an awesome forum, im not really new to making my own music, but im certainly pretty basic and unorthadox, ie i make my songs in garageband and edit them in logic, which im still learning.

Although samplings aren't my primary method of music, it is always hip hop influenced and recently i have been enjoying digitalizing my records and making use of the samples. However, after chopping the samples into the desired sections, and the looping or slotting them together, theres a subtle yet annoyingly noticable 'pop' or click as one sample ends and the next begins, im not too sure of the cause, may just be poor chopping, as i said my methods are quite unorthadox i think and so the length of the loop i need is limited by the available sample section (still not really sure about timestretching etc), which means that im kinda limited in the section of the sample i can chop to loop, meanings that there are only a few sections i can use which means its hard to find a section that wont give me that 'pop'

Anyways, im kind of rambling, hope someone here can kind of understand and help me out, would be incredible!

Thanks!

it can be one or two things... POOR CHOPPING or the grittiness of the record...

If its the record you may want to clean it off... DONT USE ALCOHOL and resample it inside of your computer...

But if its your chopping... you HAVE TO MAKE YOU CHOP YOUR SAMPLE AT THE "ZERO REFRACTION LINE"

this line is where your wave form and the line of zero meet... to avoic the "Pop/click" noise and you do the same thing at the end of the sample...

yeah probably is due to poor chopping ultimately, but in this specific situation, seems very tricky, it a classical sample of a violin playing a single note, and i need that looping sample as a drone in the background, but as its just one single note with no defined start or end, if i select the portion of the sample thats fits the desired length, the pop seems to be there no matter which section of the note i select, kind of tricky as things such as time stretching which i assume would help are in the process of being learnt, and that zero refraction line you mention, if i understand, doesnt apply in this case when i am chopping a continuos note, any idea?

Zoom in really close and fade the beginning in and the end of the sample out. If its a zero crossing problem that should fix it..

Remember zoom in close and do very fine fades.

sounds like you could just use the longer chopped note, and just make the decay faster and sustain lower...that way when u trigger it, it fades out quicker...since it fades out, it would definitely lessen the pop...i know one thing i do if i cant get a pop out is to just cover it up n hide it lol...usually with either a snare or cymbal of some sort

haha yeah i try to cover it up as much as possible, but the track im working on begins with pretty much this sample alone. Yeah i would make it fade in and out sounds like it could fix it, but in this situation im using it as a looped drone, so its the 1 bar sample of the note looped over and over throughout, so i kind of need a consistent sound and i think fades would take that away. It might help if i tell you how im cutting it, basically, i have the classical piece, i found the solitary note that plays for just under 5 seconds (which is just under 2 bars in my project which is 110bpm), i isolate the note by just chopping it out of the song so i have this 5 second note sample, finally just trim the sample again by cutting out 1 bars worth of the sample to loop indefinitely, selecting the loop from the middle of the note as i assumed would be better if i want it to drone, however, seems that wherever i select that 1 bar loop from that pop is always there... thanks though

search youtube for tekzilla episode 20. i tried to link but apparently im not allowed to post links

skip to the section about usb turntables. they feature a program called soap or something like that where you can edit those out. i think you should clean it first to get the best rip becore you mess with a program

DashofRockBottom said:
POOR CHOPPING....

you HAVE TO MAKE YOU CHOP YOUR SAMPLE AT THE "ZERO REFRACTION LINE"

this line is where your wave form and the line of zero meet... to avoic the "Pop/click" noise and you do the same thing at the end of the sample...
that's it

You don't have to chop at zero crossing, in fact its a pretty stupid statement and limiting yourself to working a certain way.

hmm i dont even know how to go about finding that zero crossing point with my limited software and limited knowledge, and as it is, the prospect of getting this seamless loop is seeming impossible!

The attachment is the short sample im working with, was wondering if anyone here with more experience would be willing to try to create a seamless and 'popless' loop by selecting part of that sample. It needs to retain its pitch in G sharp, and loop as 1 bar in a project thats 110bpm, so apparently it needs to be 2.182 seconds, would be awesome if someone could try it and tell me how they managed it!

thanks for all the suggestions so far though, great building up knowledge!

okay, so the pop is definitely at the end...lemme try to explain what other ppl have been saying...

that zero crossing point would be a good place to chop it..so if you zoom in to the very last part of the sample, you will see it makes a wave..where there's a peak dipping into a valley, going back into a peak...kinda like a rollercoaster...the place to chop the sample is where the the wave has no peak or valley..the point right on the horizontal line..the way it sounds, you probably chopped it halfway through a "valley"...so just chop it at the closest point where it is completely flat...

hopefully that helped ya

ahhhh awesome i understand now, but dont really have the software to do it, i can see those waves in Logic, but its far too confusing!

Back