How to fit a song that wasnt recorded with a click so it can be sampled?

thevisi0nary

Hi, newbie at this stuff and looking for some help.

I have this old song i want to sample but it seems like the tempo is all over the place. What should i do? Mainly using fl studio.

ah, the pains of trying to use a recording of real people playing real instruments in real time - I remember when the only way you heard music was if someone was able to play it first

simply put you will have to create some sort of tempo map that may end up being at the beat level i.e. work out how much time there is between each beat and use some simple maths to work out how many bpm that is equal to and set it as the value for the first of the two beats measured between

the math goes like so:

bpm = 60/time in seconds for one beat

e.g.

1)
if the time measured is 1 second then the bpm is 60bpm

2)
if the time measured is 0.75 seconds then the bpm = 60/0.75 = 90 bpm

3)
if the time measured is 0.4 seconds then the bpm = 60/0.4 = 150bpm

it is quite normal to have a tempo map where the bpm changes per beat or every other beat when working with material from the 70's and before

First try to figure out the bpm. Maybe you can find it through Google, just type "song title bpm" and you may find the number. Then put that number as a tempo in FL.
What you can also do is click on the sample in FL to open up "Channel settings", and on SMP tab you'll see "Time stretching". Click on that menu where it says "Resample" and choose Tonal. Then, right click on the TIME knob which is right next to it and click on 1 bar. If you don't like how it goes with the tempo of your track then pick 2 bars, 3 bars or 4 bars until you're satisfied. "Tonal" option in combination with 1 bar/2 bars etc. will automatically make the sample match the track tempo.

Hi, newbie at this stuff and looking for some help.

I have this old song i want to sample but it seems like the tempo is all over the place. What should i do? Mainly using fl studio.

If you're looping it listen for where you hear the part in the song you want to repeat indefinitely, if youre chopping it just sample anywhere you want. Also FL has a tap tempo, loop the part you want in Edison and then tap tempo the song

Last edited:
Back