How to find the scale/key of any sample

B

BeatsHQ.com

I had an idea, and it worked like a charm.

1) Download a free Chromatic Tuner. (AP Tuner 3.06)

2) Run the sample through the tuner (make sure your recording volume control is set to "stereo mix") It's easier to use a keyboard to trigger the chopped notes one by one.

3) Remember the notes it told you, and now you can look at any Piano Scale chart to locate the scale in which those particular notes are used.

4) Presto. No dicking around trying to find the key.

yeah i think it would be more work to run it through an extra program just to find out what notes the samples are, rather than just playing some keys on the keyboard til u find out the root note. and then the chords and scales are easy from there. takes me like 1 minute most to find out the scale

That's all good, too. The thing is; not all people can decipher scales as easy as others can. It's like being color blind... some people are slightly (or completely) tone deaf.

BeatsHQ.com said:
I had an idea, and it worked like a charm.

1) Download a free Chromatic Tuner. (AP Tuner 3.06)

2) Run the sample through the tuner (make sure your recording volume control is set to "stereo mix") It's easier to use a keyboard to trigger the chopped notes one by one.

3) Remember the notes it told you, and now you can look at any Piano Scale chart to locate the scale in which those particular notes are used.

4) Presto. No dicking around trying to find the key.

Thx! Never came to the idea of using a chromatic tuner on chops.

This will be a great help for me.

That's all good, too. The thing is; not all people can decipher scales as easy as others can. It's like being color blind... some people are slightly (or completely) tone deaf.

It definitely took me some time before I could just start banging on a keyboard along with a track to figure out it's key/melody/whatever else. As your eyes become "smarter" it gets easier. If you keep working on it you'll get to the point where you can just hear something and know how to play it right away.

When I first started and wanted to figure out the key of a song, I'd have to run it through a tuner or midi converter or something else to analyze the notes because my ear just couldn't decipher stuff quickly enough. Do what works for you now but keep working on developing your ears. I'd say very few people are actually tone deaf...Hearing notes isn't like seeing where you can either see or not see. It takes work to be able to find and hear notes quickly.

any1 who have tips on how i can train my ears and learn scales and such? things that will make these kind of situations easier for me

it seems that i cant use this with mp3 or wav files, i need to have the sample played from an external device? is that right

Back