How does one sample this seamlessly?

ckunke002

This beat has always blown my mind, and it seems that all of the samples are taken from very different sources. There's the Jaco bassline, then there's the drums and more drums, then throughout the song at least 3 other distinct layers that end up working with each other incredibly. There's a bassline, wah guitar, epic orchestration samples, ambient background noises...

Is this simply the result of looking through thousands of records, or is there something I'm missing? Looking to get more insight into this guys production process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj-4kHBHoTQ

I know El-P (The guy who made the beat) always tries to combine samples with his own live instrumentation. if you want to see his process, Massappeal has a series called rythm roullette and he was featured on below episode, it's a really dope show, you might wanna check out other episodes as well.

I've actually watched a ton of rhythm roulette but thanks for lookin out! I don't actually think there was live instrumention on this track however, he made it probably around 99 or 2000 and I believe he was mostly into layers of sampling and effects at that time. The only questionable part is the guitar which he MAY have brought in a player to record for..

Back