How does alchemist make the sample change like that?

StanleySteamer

Hey guys, I am working on a beat and that is a one bar sample and i was listening to a song it reminded me of and I was curious as to how alchemist made the sample change up on these parts. The parts are at 0:16, 1:07, 1:58, 2:25 and so on. I am curious if he is reversing the sample maybe or is he chopping it up right there or something? Anyways here is the song:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jrfD-d7XLLw

Sounds like he chops it twice. or that could be a different part of the sample he chopped in real quick

He has just used a different chop at the end, that's all so say the order is chop 4, chop 2, chop 3 and then chop 1 and then it goes chop 4, chop 2, chop 3 and then chop 5 instead of chop 1. I hope that makes sense haha.

thanks for the responses guys! do you guys think that instead of doing a different chop, do you guys think with a 1 bar sample you could just reverse the last half of the bar and still the keep the same kind of style of baseline in key with the song? I assume since lets say a sample goes from A# first half of a bar, then to F the second half of the bar and you have a bass line following those keys, couldn't you essentially just reverse your the last half of the bar of the sample and still keep that F baseline in key with the rest of the sample? Kind of confusing I know but some clarity would definitely be a big help lol

Alc always does that, he makes samples sound Alchemized when he puts them together with his chops and production. You can tell that his ear is trained to find those self same elements in many different compositions.

thanks for the responses guys really appreciate it. last question i have, can anyone clarify for me if I am using a 1 bar sample thats progression is lets say F for first half of a bar or just one snare, and then the other half of the bar goes down to C, if I use to reverse effect on the last half of the bar of the sample in FL Studio is it still gonna be in the key of C in the last half of the sample? Confusing lol but any answers?

Yeah it will be in the same key as long as the sample isnt being slowed down or sped up, just reversed.

thanks for the response. so if the last half bar of the sample is in the key of C or F or whatever, when reversed that half a bar will still remain in the same key as if the sample was being reverse at all correct?

Ok so say you have a chop that has a brass melody, the first half of the chop is playing the note C and the last half of the chop is playing the note F. That's without it being reversed. Then you reverse that chop so now the first half of it is playing note F and the last half of it is playing note C. I hope that answers your question. Just keep in mind though that sometimes when you reverse a sample it wont sound quite right for whatever reason, (the sample might be slightly detuned or something) you just need to trust your ears and work out what sounds good to you.

Back