How does Alchemist add this sound?

StanleySteamer

Around 0:43 or 0:44 and on he adds that sound behind the sample that has been running through out the whole song. Is that like a phaser or maybe a EQ or something to make that sound different?

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like he just layered another part of the sample at a lower volume which is a common technique

Could you elaborate a little more as to how that works and how I could do that myself? Do you mean he layer another part of the same sample he already chopped at a lower volume, or did he chop another sample out of the same song and layer it at a lower volume? Thanks for the response more feedback greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
well generally when you're chopping samples, if possible... you want an intro, verse, hook and maybe a bridge and an outro. whatever song he sampled had different elements he wanted to use at specific parts, but whenever you layer two parts of a sample, you want the volume lower on the sample that isnt the "main" sample so it does not clash or phase noticeable, you want to filter it as well so it doesnt phase

Last edited:
well generally when you're chopping samples, if possible... you want an intro, verse, hook and maybe a bridge and an outro. whatever song he sampled had different elements he wanted to use at specific parts, but whenever you layer two parts of a sample, you want the volume lower on the sample that isnt the "main" sample so it does not clash or phase noticeable, you want to filter it as well so it doesnt phase

Thanks again for replying! Ok as far as the whole chopping samples and finding intros and verses I knew that already but I never knew about the whole taking another part of the sample and making it work like that. Last question, as far as filtering the second sample. Do you mean low end or high end filter or what kind of filter are we talking here?

Back