How Do You Mangle Your Sample?

JoeOsoDopke

Enhanced By Perfect Pitch
Post ways which you take a sample (can be a literal thing you did or a hypothetical situation) and make it your own, whether that be pitching it down, applying saturation, chopping it, WHATEVER.
I personally like to apply different grain delays (such as the ones from Michael Norris's plugin library) which can effect the timing and give it just a kind of cool groove, but like alot of the time with grain based plugins/fx, you have to sample what comes out of that as well, as most of the time, what initially comes out doesn't really have much musical merit because of the time warping and whatnot.
Also I will apply a tickle of gain/saturation to a sample, to change the character (whether that be making it more aggressive, or making it denser)

Whatever the sample needs some times I use glitch vsts sometimes i loop it and time shift it, some times I cut it up and replay it. Just depends homie.

......with my penis
This.

I **** the sample up in the craziest of ways. Whatever sounds dope I keep, whatever sounds wack I learn from. Phasers, flangers, -/+36 pitches, obscene EQ cuts/boosts,... the only good rules is no rules.

EQ, Compress, Sidechain, Chop, Reverse. Whatever works.

I don't like doing anything way too flashy but I EQ and compress 99% of the time and I like sidechaining a lot.

Guys can someone explain how to increase pitch of the sample without speeding the tempo? It's called pitch shift right? How to do that in Reason 5?

i stretch that mofo to the limit , literally... id take a 2 beat hit and stretch it to 2 bars for a creepy eerie sound

Back