How do you know what kind of music you want to sample?

ThaCarterH

I've always heard that it's good to know what kind of music you like to sample that way you can find music that fits your taste making it easier to find songs that you want to sample. But the songs I've sampled are all over the place. Jazz, soul, RnB, some Japanese junk. So how do I know where to look when I'm sampling. At the moment I'm talking about e-digging but I prefer crate digging. (there's no record stores near me) any body else have a non-specific taste when sampling? What do you do about it? :hmmm:

I've found out pretty quickly it's not what's in your head, it's what's in your heart. Sample stuff that speaks to you personally. Don't go with what you know Kanye does or Dilla does. If you grew up on Nirvana, flip some Nirvana shit lol

There's this guy at work. He's a big Depeche Mode fan. I think Depeche Mode are shite but there's this one song of theirs he played today that I know I can make fire out of. As a whole the song is still shite but there a few sounds and a lick in there that would sound dope if pulled out and messed with. I'm gonna find it on vinyl.

dont limit yourself to stuff you like. Listen for what you can use.

Back