How do you guys get rid of clicking sounds in your sample cuts?

StanleySteamer

Hey guys, I have a beat I am working on and I am 100% sure there is no other way to make this other part of the sample chop and loop correctly. I been tried thinking it was an error in my cutting but there is just no way it is too on time with the beat. Anyways I have this clicking noise that comes right as the sample starts to play. Its noticeable to me and I don't know how noticeable it could be to others but I am wondering if there is a process or a method to removing the clicking sound from my sample? On one hand it sounds like a clicking from the actual instruments themselves maybe being pressed by hands since it is indeed a sample, but then on the other hand it sounds like a static sort of sounding click. Any help would be appreciated!

If the sample was recorded digitally that could be the issue. Digital is great, but often times will cause popping (digital artifact) also called snits & snats. If you're in Pro tools you could zoom in until the wave is a squiggly line and use the pensil tool to flatten out the pop. Sometimes if the pop is at the beginning or end of a sample you can put a small fade on it and that might do the trick.

If the sample was recorded digitally that could be the issue. Digital is great, but often times will cause popping (digital artifact) also called snits & snats. If you're in Pro tools you could zoom in until the wave is a squiggly line and use the pensil tool to flatten out the pop. Sometimes if the pop is at the beginning or end of a sample you can put a small fade on it and that might do the trick.

Hey thanks for the response. Great advice and will keep in mind. One thing i have noticed with my track specifically is the clicking/pop sound can only be heard in like headphones and then in the headphones its not too low. I work on studio monitors and I have listened to them in studio monitors to my mom's car to my friends car who has awesome speakers and I can't hear the clicking/pop sound at all its only in the headphones. Do you think that this could be a huge problem or interference with the quality of my track as far as someone being able to record a song on it or someone just listening to it in general?

Hmm, if it's just in the headphones, then the hp might be the issue. If the particular part of the wave form is too hot the headphones might be picking it up and causing them to distort the audio. If the track is just going to be used for listening purposes then it probably won't be a big deal (if you're like me, any purpose warrants fixing the issue). If the track is going to have vocals cut to it then that will present an issue, as the artist will more than likely want the track mastered after it's mixed and that will bring up the audibility of the "pop" in the overall mix.

never heard of snits and snats (I've been doing this a long time so should have heard of it, I think)

the problem is more likely to be "zero crossing errors" - you can only fix this by making sure that the last sample point and the first sample point are at the same amplitude - nothing else will solve it

attack time won't fix a zero crossing error

It kind of will in some cases, but you're right. You should always check your start point first. If for some reason there's a click even if you start out with no amplitude you can get it out by starting after the click and using a softer attack to get it closer to the original.

Or if you want to do it quickly,do a hard fade on a few miliseconds on the front and end of the sample.

Peace

When slicing audio in your audio editor of choice check to see if the curser is set to snap to the nearest zero crossing point. It's Helpful when editing or manually adjusting chops to prevent pops and clicks.

Good luck.

Back