how do you find your samples?

You want to look for one samples that doesn't have that much drums in it. Use small parts. You can know this by looking at the waveform.

I get my samples by any means necessary, I'll sample anything except MP3s (I mess with higher quality digital formats though.)

As far as developing an ear, start off looking for stuff that works well as loops, they stick out more than stuff you need to chop up. then it's trial and error to develop that ear.

I agree that samples without drums are the best.
As for finding them.I just randomly go through YouTubes music videos.
And after some time of producing and looking for samples.You will start to see samples not songs.Like what part goes where and why.

I get my samples by any means necessary, I'll sample anything except MP3s (I mess with higher quality digital formats though.)

As far as developing an ear, start off looking for stuff that works well as loops, they stick out more than stuff you need to chop up. then it's trial and error to develop that ear.

how do you "develop" an ear for samples? should i just listen to as much music as i can?

Browse different type of music on Deezer or Spotify, like ethnic, rock, electro, dubstep, find some without drums or some drums you can add yours on it and it's a go!

Browse different type of music on Deezer or Spotify, like ethnic, rock, electro, dubstep, find some without drums or some drums you can add yours on it and it's a go!

Ya sampling requires you to build knowledge on music, any genre you can get down with. Personally I don't sample stuff I don't like, I know a lot of people do though.

The staple genres for hip-hop samples are jazz, funk, and soul, but there's a lot of other genres to get into with dope music.

I sample of vinyl. I go to the record store and buy any and everything, take it home and just listen and listen. The advice I would give is patience and trial and error. If you hear something you like sample it. You may like what you come up with you may not. That's how i do it. Patience is key in my work flow.

Like in most posts find bits of music where there are no drums and something you can loop or chop. A lot of producers listen to records they normally wouldn't to get inspiration. Experiment with music you like and practice from there overtime you will get better if you keep it up. Go to whosampled.com to see examples of popular tracks and what they sampled.

i go to second hand stores and shit to look for vinyl. i look for stuff that is jazz, funk or soul, or stuff that has a dope cover or shit that just looks obscure and rare. Mainly just buy anything i feel cuz its just like a dollar a record anyway. Then i go home and i listen to it, if i find a song that i hear potential in, i will record to it to my computer. then i bring the song in to maschine where i chop out all the good stuff.

I just sample videogames and anime along with old stuff and add synthesizers 24/7 along with drums and suchlike kong in reason.
Studio one is used as a effects/volume adjusting sequencer for reason and kontakt modules.
nanokontrol2 used in automating stuff for movement. Padkontrol/mpd18 for percuss and a snowball recorder.

Like previously discussed the amount of samples you find with rise along with your skill, i find myself going back to records i bought 5 years ago and be blown away how I could've missed that "obvious loop".

That said theres a few things you can do if you buy vinyl: look at the back of the cover: Instruments played helps you know what music theyre doing, what year also helps you a lot as 1975 music has a different vibe generally compared to 1985. Also the label, after a while you'll start to recognize some labels because you usually find good shit on those.
Also you have to keep in mind that just because a song is bad doesnt mean it unusuable, there could very well be a open break at the end of the track so remember to scim through everything.

But the first question you have to answer yourself that will help you the most is: "what do I like?" If you can isolate what kind of samples and vibe you like you can more easily find stuff you can use to make that vibe.

If your not too fussed on following traditional methods, a cheap and easy way is to browse channels like Vinyle archeology on youtube, its pretty good for relatively rare and sample worthy pieces.

I often find a few samples watching films too, not necessarily from the soundtrack, but other ambient noises that may stand out to you. Other than that I often look up pieces sampled by the likes of Madlib and Jay Dee, no harm in looking up the artists they sampled to search for more of their work in my opinion.

Back