How do you EQ samples?

Rainbowdash

Hope this is the right place on the forum to ask, but how do I EQ a sample?

I use FL studios parametric EQ to cut the low frequencies which I always figured was good for when you want to replay the bass yourself. But I don't really understand how to do anything else, I find it a bit confusing.

Can someone please explain EQing?

I never EQ a sample.
I only use a Low-Pass, High-Pass & Band-Pass Filter.

That's all i do to mix my samples.
Than i have a Flanger, Phaser, Wah-Wah effect and Camel Space/Camel Phat for extra effects on my samples.

Last edited:
I never EQ a sample.
I only use a Low-Pass, High-Pass & Band-Pass Filter.

That's all i do to mix my samples.
Than i have a Flanger, Phaser, Wah-Wah effect and Camel Space/Camel Phat for extra effects on my samples.

Yeah that's what I do, although what's the Camel Space/Camal Phat? I haven't used anything called a Camel before

Last edited:
Camel Space & Camel Phat are 2 of the greatest effect-plugins you will ever hear. trust me. You don't even really have to edit them much cause they come with so many great presets.

It has build in Gate/Filters/Flanger/Delay everything. I just pick a preset and put it below my sample to give it an extra change.

Camel Space & Camel Phat are 2 of the greatest effect-plugins you will ever hear. trust me. You don't even really have to edit them much cause they come with so many great presets.

It has build in Gate/Filters/Flanger/Delay everything. I just pick a preset and put it below my sample to give it an extra change.

Got to agree! Real dope plugs.

Depends on the sound your looking for. When i want a more mainstream-ish vibe i take out alot of the lower-mids and use a low-pass filter. but for more raw underground stuff, i dont really eq as much. every song is different.

kinda like this?

Yea. but it just depends on the vibe your looking for. i find it easier to put my kicks and snares(and not have to layer)/stack them) when i take that approach since a lot of thos frequencies are already eq'd out. but once again it all depends.

BTW it seems like they compressed the Hell out of the sample...or it might just be youtube.

Last edited:
It Depends On What Your Trying To Do.. But You Can Get An EQ Chart Anywhere Online.. By Using The Chart You Will Know Where Sounds Are Located In Order To Bring Them Out Or Take Them Away..

Certinly depends on the sample, vocal or instrumental, if instrumental then what instrument? Just play around with levels, and certainly the FX's. Recently I've been purposely using FXs that I used to neve use and got some enjoyable results. My advice would be to not concern yourself with how other people will enjoy your music, make sure you're in love with it first...

Different components are more defined when they take up separate frequencies. Your sample might sound better with the full range that it came with, but it will sound better in your beat if it's not interfering with anything else. If I remember right, one song to use this effectively that comes to mind is 'titles' by Sputnik Brown. I can't find a preview, but the sample is given a very limited frequency range and it works well. I also EQ to bring out or diminish qualities within the sample, such as static, hi hats, bass, vocals/instrumentation, etc.

With EQ/filters you can only do so much which is pretty much eliminating extreme highs and/or lows.

You can also cut a little mid range say to put a snare over but that's not nearly as effective as filtering out highs and lows seeing as how most likely the meat of what you want in a sample is in the middle.

Back