how do YOU chop?

fn86

when chopping samples and making a beat of it, do you mostly start with finding a loop in the song you sample / sample an exact lenght of beats or bars and go from there, or do you just chop what the hell you need withouth thinking if its an exact loop / exact lenght of beats and bars? how those the big ones like premier, alchemist, pete rock etc etc do it in terms of this?

it depends wether you wanna just loop the sample, or chop it and make your own arrangement

I find the loops and then throw the loops in recycle use auto chop and see what i can find

eaze i didnt mean when you just take a loop from a sample and just loop it like that, but when you chop something, do you look for a loop / a correct lenght of beats when you choose the part you gonna chop?

i listen to the whole song and look for loops and differing half bar loops to chop up... i chop each bar into 8 pieces to give me more creative room..

If i like the loop ill just leave it as it and add drums and a bassline and some other sounds..or i'll chop it but chopping samples for me is very time consuming(have the original 2k) but i'm fairly new to this so it might just be my inexperience but the zone option in the 2xl and 1k with the os 3...seems a hell of a lot easier

Thanks guys for sharing your techniques and methods.. I do have one quetion when i measure beats and bars. i account for them in FL and the sample seem's to still run on. I've tried adjusting the Tempo but in most cases i time strectch and tone it to make it go with the tempol.

OLSatG said:
i use a 303 s oi just grab roughly interesting sections then go from there.

it's finally dawned on me lately that I want one.

Heres a Tip...
chop everything... even if u plan to just loop it...
Chop it anyway and replay the loop...

Trust me

jacpot said:
Heres a Tip...
chop everything... even if u plan to just loop it...
Chop it anyway and replay the loop...

Trust me

i used to think this but now i will just let the sample slosh around and don't over quantize it, try and get a happy medium you don't have to chop to every beat or 1/2 beat.

Last edited:
Back