how do you choose samples?

The less drums or background instruments the better. Also no vocals(panned) either. Like most of the posts, I'm looking for the cleanest sample I can possibly find(solo instruments/vocals).

Asking "how do you choose a sample" is like asking "How do you choose clothes for your wardrobe?". It's personal man, that's what makes sampling personal, it's the certain sound you like, look for, and the vibe that you enjoy most. Just look around for what excites you and don't choose certain samples based on another person's production style because you want to get that "insert producer name here" sound.

Asking "how do you choose a sample" is like asking "How do you choose clothes for your wardrobe?". It's personal man, that's what makes sampling personal, it's the certain sound you like, look for, and the vibe that you enjoy most. Just look around for what excites you and don't choose certain samples based on another person's production style because you want to get that "insert producer name here" sound.

I agree. its like asking what ingredients should I put in my soup. What kind of soup is it? What flavors do you like? I usually sample stuff that I would never listen to for some reason. I love Hendrix, but I can't do anything w it cause I know it too well by itself.

Agreed.

Sometimes I cut stuff up that I don't even think I can use, chop it up set it to some keys and play around with it to see if I can make anything of it, surprising results sometimes!

jazz is good for sampling

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

also soul and rnb

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

listen to good music

For me its the workflow...i mite have the idea n if i hear nothin for a long period of time it looses the energy because to me thinking is music worst enemy...especially wen it comes to creating

Just like late J.Dilla I feel confident that I can sample most things like 95%. No need to search for hours for some sound that is in your head, I like to be creative with what I have e.g. Indian, Chinese, Japanese, European, African, Sound effects, natural.

I suggest going to whosampled.com and look at the artists you like and listen to the original. whosampled shows you where the sample is in the song and you can see what parts they used and how they sampled the song, this seems to help. do your homework! :D

You just know when you hear it if it will work. Need some experience first though. So your brain will know the different ways it "could" work.

Back